GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How do i clear coat?

Ok, i wasn't sure if i should put this in general q&a or here because it's not about my truck.

i bought an old '82-'89 (not sure) ranger boat a couple months ago and the clear coat is fading off. you can start to feel the sparkles in the base coat and i want my boat looking good, or as best as it can for its age. i dont have alot of money and have a good sense of figuring stuff out fast. i have an HVLP gravity fed spray gun that i use to stain furniture and stuff with along with a 33gal air compressor. what all would i need to do this and how would i go about doing it. would i ned to sand anything down or just spray right over it. some spots on the boat, where sun doesn't hit much, are in decent condition. thanks
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

I don't have any experience painting boats but for a car if the clear coat is peeling you will have to sand it/feather it until you get to a point where it seems to be still sticking good. You will probably have to spray some basecoat though because you will probably mess it up a little sanding the clear. Any where you are planning on spraying clear should be scuffed down so the clear will stick or it will be peeling again eventually. Again I've never worked on a boat so I don't know if its the same basecoat/clearcoat that they use on cars.

ive never worked on a boat, but i do body work, as mentioned earlier you need to featheredge the clear back with P1000 grit sandpaper to where it stops peeling. Then sand wet or dry the entire panel where the clear was flaking off. \
    Use shopline clear coat with the appropiate hardener. Shopline is a branch of PPG. Mix it 4:1 (4 parts clear to one part hardener)
    use the HVLP gun you have. Do you know what tip it has? A 1.4 will suffice for spraying clear. \

Set the PSI at about 25 at the gun air inlet.

Do a test spray first on a test panel.

Good luck bud
    Cheers from NJ
    '00 1500 4x4 4.8l
    single glasspack
    daily driver/workhorse

ok thanks! it sounds like i might just want to go ahead and paint it? not just clear coat it.

the tip is a 1.4 if i remember correctly.
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)

Boat clear coats are a lot different than a car, a lot of this has to do with the Gel coating used on fiberglass boats. I'd probably talk to a boat shop before tackling this project.

ok thanks for the info!