GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default What transmission filter do I want to use?

Hi All,

I've got a transmission fluid change coming up for my 2003 Yukon XL, and I'm curious what filter I should be using. I'm going to go with a synthetic transmission fluid, probably Amsoil. But for the filter I wasn't sure what was the best.

WIX makes a filter for my truck:
    http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlook...asp?Part=58847

Looks like I can get that for $19 or so. Autozone sells another filter, I think it was a B&M filter, for $18. So basically the same price.

Really the price doesn't matter so much, as long as it's reasonable. I'm not paying $100 for a filter But if there's a much better filter option out there for, say, $25 or $30, I'd gladly pay it if it will extend the life of my transmission.

Suggestions? Who makes good filters? By the way, Amsoil doesn't make transmission filters, or at least they don't make a filter for my vehicle. Amsoil does carry the WIX brand filters, though.

I have a 2003 Yukon XL with the 4L60E deep pan transmission (at least, it measures three inches deep and they said at Autozone that anything over 2.5 inches is "deep").

-Josh

I would go with WIX/NAPA Gold. And I dont' put a lot of faith in advice from the AZ crowd. They're OK to pick stuff off the shelf (even then I open the box before I leave) and that's about in IMO.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Default So would you say 3 inches is a "deep pan"?

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    I would go with WIX/NAPA Gold. And I dont' put a lot of faith in advice from the AZ crowd. They're OK to pick stuff off the shelf (even then I open the box before I leave) and that's about in IMO.
    Ok, so I'll forget what Autozone said about deep vs shallow pan.

I measured my pan and it's a little over 3 inches, maybe 3" and 1/8 or 3" and 1/4, or something like that.

Would you say that's a deep pan?

Three inches sounds deep to me, but I haven't worked on anything newer than a 97. Jimmiee is the transmission expert. Is there any name brand stamped on the pan? Like B&B, Summit, etc? I believe the deep pans usually come with a filter extension, so a normal filter should fit fine. If you want improved filtration, I would go with a spin on filter in the cooler lines.

Three inches sounds deep to me, but I haven't worked on anything newer than a 97. Jimmiee is the transmission expert. Is there any name brand stamped on the pan? Like B&B, Summit, etc? I believe the deep pans usually come with a filter extension, so a normal filter should fit fine. If you want improved filtration, I would go with a spin on filter in the cooler lines.
    That's correct, the aftermarket deep pans come with an extension for the stock filter. X2 on the Napa filter which is made by SPX. Get a price from Napa and then call a few transmission shops and ask them if they will sell you a filter and a pan gasket. Transmission shops pay about 6 or 7 dollars for a good SPX filter because they buy in bulk. Many transmission shops do not sell parts but some do so make a few phone calls and save a few bucks.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    That's correct, the aftermarket deep pans come with an extension for the stock filter. X2 on the Napa filter which is made by SPX.
    What do you mean by "X2 on the Napa filter"?

... brand stamped on the pan? Like B&B, Summit.....
    Hah! B&B. Needless to say, I meant B&M......

Hah! B&B. Needless to say, I meant B&M......
    There's nothing stamped on the pan that I could see. I just went and crawled underneath again to doublecheck, and I can't see anything. It's possible it's stamped so faintly I can't make it out, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeall View Post
    What do you mean by "X2 on the Napa filter"?
    That's means I second the motion. <G>

Quote Originally Posted by jbeall View Post
    There's nothing stamped on the pan that I could see. I just went and crawled underneath again to doublecheck, and I can't see anything. It's possible it's stamped so faintly I can't make it out, I suppose.
    Also, GM has a shallow pan that they used for several years and then made the pan a little deeper for 4X4 applications. If you order your filter kit by application you will get the correct filter. If you did have an aftermarket non stock filter it would have a name on it that would be plainly visible.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by