GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Tailpipe crimp?

Default Tailpipe crimp?

I was under my truck (02' 2500 4x4 6.0L) and noticed either a crimp or dent right at the curve next to the spare [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]tire[/COLOR][/COLOR]. It looks like a dent but I called a local Chevy service rep and he said it's factory to keep the spare from melting and needed exhaust back pressure. Any advice? I bought the truck used and never noticed it before. The exhaust is 3 1/2". Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0379.JPG_s.jpg  

Looks kind of like it was put there on purpose but what they said just doesn't make much sense

i agree but as long as its not leaking or anything i wouldnt worry bout it, bc it aint going to hurt anything
    03 silverado ls model x-cab z71 w/ 5.3l.
    black lo pro toolbox
    ruff country leveling kit
    285/70/17 tera tracs
    stock 17's that are rhino lined
    5% tint

Master Mechanic

i dont think my 04 had one like that but i could be wrong
    -Dylan
    2004 Silverado 4x4
    4.8L
    1986 K5 Blazer
    8" Superlift w/39.5 super swampers
    1992 GMC Jimmy "Blue Bomber"
    4.3L Vortec

My 02's exhaust didn't look like that. And back pressure?... That shouldn't matter after the muffler.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Legend

Sounds like BS, he just didnt care and just gave you a line, if that 1/4 inch is enough to keep the tail pipe from melting the tire, then the rest of the exhaust should be further away from the tire, looks like the truck came down on something at some point.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Thanks for the replies- I found a couple other 02's around my jobsite and they too had the dent. Mine was by far the deepest though. I called a muffler shop and he confirmed it did come like that from the factory. They didn't know why, but there it is. He said it was nothing to worry about. Looks like crap regardless-

On my 04 its crimped closer to the front of the truck. You can get rid of it by having a muffler place replace the last foot or two of the pipe. Or go with a full blown exhaust.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Legend

My brothers 01 does not have that