GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1997 Chevy Vortec Distributor - Broken Screw Flange

Performed a tune-up on my 97 Suburban 350 Vortec and everything was going great until I went to tighten the front screw for the distributor cap. It was tightening fine and just starting to get snug, then flange/tab that the screw goes into snapped in half/off. Unless someone can provide a workaround it appears I need to replace the entire distributor correct?

If so are there any techs that can tell me what the factory states is the hours necessary to get the job so I can get an idea of price? Also, any recommendation for replacement distributors?

Thank you for your time.
    You may be a redneck if... you have spent more on your pickup truck than on your education. - Jeff Foxworthy :he:

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd-burban View Post
    Performed a tune-up on my 97 Suburban 350 Vortec and everything was going great until I went to tighten the front screw for the distributor cap. It was tightening fine and just starting to get snug, then flange/tab that the screw goes into snapped in half/off. Unless someone can provide a workaround it appears I need to replace the entire distributor correct?

If so are there any techs that can tell me what the factory states is the hours necessary to get the job so I can get an idea of price? Also, any recommendation for replacement distributors?

Thank you for your time.
    Yes you need a new distributor. Summit racing sells a house brand that is pretty good and reasonably priced. The labor should be about an hour to an hour and a half I would guess. I don't have a labor guide so that's just a ball park estimate.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Thanks for the response, forgot to respond that the distributor was replaced. With my work schedule just took it into the mechanic since he is reasonable.
    You may be a redneck if... you have spent more on your pickup truck than on your education. - Jeff Foxworthy :he: