GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Wrangler Silent Armor

Saw a few trucks with these on them at state fair. Really like the looks of them and they come in 285/65R18 which is around the size I am looking to run on my truck. They say they are a heavy duty hauling tire for 3/4 and one ton trucks. My truck is a 1/2 ton, so I was thinkin maybe they would last a little longer also. Has anyone used these tires? Good off-road traction? Nice/Quiet ride? Good wear? Heard mixed opinions about goodyears in general is why im asking.

Thanks

2007 Z71 Silverado 1500 LT NNBS
    5.3L
    Custom Dual Exhaust
    2.25" ReadyLift
    285/65-R18 Kumho's
    Factory Steps
    Big Tex Cattle Guard
    Delta Pro Tool Box
    Chrome Door Handles
    WeatherTech Floormats
    Spray In Bedliner

Legend

You will pay a pretty penny for them, anywhere from 200-255 a tire, but they are good tires and are rated well for snow too
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Sr. Apprentice

I usually think paying between 200-250 for a tire is a reasonable price. You get what you pay for in my opinion. Thats what I have always paid for tires. They do have kind of a cool side wall design too.

5.3L
    Custom Dual Exhaust
    2.25" ReadyLift
    285/65-R18 Kumho's
    Factory Steps
    Big Tex Cattle Guard
    Delta Pro Tool Box
    Chrome Door Handles
    WeatherTech Floormats
    Spray In Bedliner

IMO, anything with the Wrangler name in it is junk. I have guys coming in all the time with some really messed up wranglers. But, maybe its because they didn't rotate them and inflate them properly. But I'd go with Michelins or BFG's if I were u.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Sr. Apprentice

Right now it's narrowed down to Cooper Discoverer STT's, Nitto Terra Grapplers (If the local guy carries them, not sure), or the Wrangler SilentArmor. I just liked the Wranglers and they seemed like a solid tire.

5.3L
    Custom Dual Exhaust
    2.25" ReadyLift
    285/65-R18 Kumho's
    Factory Steps
    Big Tex Cattle Guard
    Delta Pro Tool Box
    Chrome Door Handles
    WeatherTech Floormats
    Spray In Bedliner

I too am looking at the Silent Armour pro grades. I went down to my local shop and asked about them, and the guy said he had put alot of them on and had nothing but good reports on them. So I asked price and he said $915 all in (285/75/16s). He also said the Duratracs were selling really well and had no complaints on them either and i think they are a little cheaper also, didn't check price with him though, but online they are. So i think i'll go with either of them. It'll be my first set of goodyears. Good luck with any choice you make.

2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD:sign0011:
    6.0L Vortec
    Magnaflow 4" Dual Exhaust
    Leveling Kit
    Westin step bars
    Penda Skid Resistor bed liner
    dark blue metallic
    Bak Industries plastic bed rail caps
    Alpine 6 1/2" SPS-600 in front
    Alpine 6 1/2" SPG-17C2 in rear
    Bilstein HD Shocks front and rear
    Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs LT265/75/R16
    Access Lorado Roll-up soft tonneau cover

I ran a set of SA's on my work truck and was happy with the noise level. Very quiet. It has two steel belts, a polyester body and a kevlar belt to add impact resistance and to help with the noise. The tread is not as aggressive as the Wrangler MT's, and off road traction suffers. I will say that unless you get to some pretty tough places the SA's will get you there. I found no real benefit of the Kevlar as far as puncture resistance. I got just as many flats with the SA's as the MT's.

The SA's in the size you mention are rated a SL (standard load) If you carry a lot of weight you may want to look for a XL rated tire or move up to a light truck tire in a D or E rating.

If you want a road worthy highway tire that will do ok off road the SA's are a good choice.
    If you carry heavier loads I'd look for a light truck tire in a D or E range.
    If you want superior off road I'd check out the MT/R kevlar.

I just recently had a set of the MT/R with kevlar mounted on the work truck. $1400 for 5 tires to replace the SA's.

I went for the E load range with a max inflation pressure of 80psi. I go 60psi on the fronts and 80 on the rears. They have been very good for me so far. The aggressive tread really grabs sand, gravel and the rocky stuff. I air down to 15 - 20psi depending on the conditions. The down side is that they are very noisy on the highway. After putting up with lesser tires off road, I've just decided to put up with the noise on the highway.

Silent Armor tread........................................vs... ...................................MT/R Kevlar tread
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Getting ready to put the SA Kevlar E rated tire on the Hummer 17s for my Sub. Best price locally was Sam's Club and the shop guy told me rotation was critical. He runs them himself and has seen no issues. I looked at his rig and can't wait to use them in the snow.
    1998 K-2500 Suburban
    454 w/ 4L80E
    Suspension Maxx T-Bar Keys Gibson Cat Back K&N Intake
    Mag-Hytec trans pan and diff cover Hypertech Programmer
    MSD 6A, Blaster Coil & Wires Roadmaster Active Suspension
    Hummer H2 wheels w/ BFG All Terrrain T/A KO

Quote Originally Posted by X-Hibition View Post
    Best price locally was Sam's Club and the shop guy told me rotation was critical.
    This is exactly what I mean. I work at Sam's Club too, and all the Wranglers I change are seriously f'd up. But like I previously said, it's probably due to the owner not rotating and inflating the tire properly. Just don't forget that BF Goodrich has the TKO's, which are the all terrains, and the Mud Terrains. They are both excellent tires, provided you rotate and inflate them properly. But on a TKO, you would be best rotating with every oil change, since they like to wear oddly.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Legend
    Blog Entries

Just a little suggestion if you can wait until next year for a 4 wheel parts event, I priced these tires at one of there events and they quoted me $170 per tire for a 285/70/r16. The only reason I didn't buy them was because I was layed off at the time, but they are an awesome tire! Another thing I liked about them is if you have aftermarket wheels and are notorious for scrubbing curbs, those tires have a lip that sticks out from the rim to take the impact of the curb instead of your wheels. These will be my next tires that I get on my Silverado, because I have already had the BFG's and they were nice but I want to try something new.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast