GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Head Unit Help!

Question Head Unit Help!

Hey I need you guy's opinions. Im planning to get a Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD and was wondering whether or not to install it myself (with minimal electrical experience) or pay to have it done by others. I want to get a backup cam also, but since it requires running new wires I dont wanna mess with that.

Let me know your guy's experience with 09 Silverado head units.

Thanks!
    Stock.....For Now

Hooking up headunits is pretty easy. All you do is hook the colored wires up where they tell ya. Not too bad. I know i would never pay someone to install on for me. Then again i've done a few but still.. .never learn to ya give it a try.
    04 Silverado 1500. ECSB Volant CAI, MagnaFlow Duals

do it your self, that way you know it is done right, i have seen some of the things, best buy and other places, have done, as far a backup cam, that just require getting under the truck, no big deal

Leadpan101 :great:
    2003 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
    1996 Honda Accord

kinda depends on where you buy your deck, be cautious some places that sell stereo equipment will not replace self installed decks and will only send it to the manufacturer if it breaks, because they say they dont know if you fried it. some will but some wont just make sure you ask if theyl warrenty a self install. I have been on the wrong side of this.
    2000 Silverado Z71 Whipple Supercharger, JBA Headers,3" cat back Flowmaster Exhaust, Volant cai, Pioneer Preimer deck,Orion subwoofer,03 signal light mirrors,03 taililghts

Quote Originally Posted by chevycamarado View Post
    Hey I need you guy's opinions. Im planning to get a Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD and was wondering whether or not to install it myself (with minimal electrical experience) or pay to have it done by others. I want to get a backup cam also, but since it requires running new wires I dont wanna mess with that.

Let me know your guy's experience with 09 Silverado head units.

Thanks!
    Does this interface with the XM, Onstar, Steering wheel controls and bluetooth?
    Padre (Chip)
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace -- Jimi Hendrix

2009 Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab, long bed, Blue Granite

I didnt no anything bout car and trucks i started trying and fixing and now ive fully restored a chevelle and a 65 with just a few buddys who learned justhow i did and we r all under 21. i say try it its cheaper
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

do it your self, or if you are so fortunate to have a buddy that knows everything audio, have him do it but watch his every step and ask questions so i fyou ever need to get back there you wont be shooting in the dark. my friend has a monte carlo with a back up cam, a little easier for him to run those wires bc he can go straight thru his trunk and up to the front, but as stated before you will probably have to run some wires under neath your truck, i want one but its not a major necessity.. good luck and let us know how you did!

Elizabeth city NC , originaly from chesapeake VA

Id say do it yourself , it should be fiarly easy if you buy the aftermarket wire harness for your model truck, the wires are already coded to match up with most after market stereos.
    Life's short... Drive hard!:sign0011:

1990 GMC Suburban 4x4 w/ jasper 355
    6" Skyjacker suspension lift w/ Interco Trxus sts 36 14.5s
    on Mickey Thompson classic rims, Edelbrock
    intake, K&N 14 x 4 filter, JBA shortys
    Magnaflow exhaust, Pioneer system with
    Dual 12 inch subs... The list goes on!

STOP. The "new" 2007-2009 has a number of high tech issues. As someone pointed out earlier, all your chimes, On-Star, Bluetooth runs through the radio. Secondly, the CAN bus provides the power and this is not as straight forward as previous models. (If you don't know what the CAN bus is........) There are interfaces available to do what you want to do.....

I recommend you call these people:

http://www.pac-audio.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=26

2008 Suburban 1500 LT with all the goodies.
    2009 2500 Crew Cab DMax LT Stock under the hood.....Nerf bars, cap and liner, de-badged, Husky Liners, CB, JVC woofer, bull bar. Roof lights

Quote Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
    STOP. The "new" 2007-2009 has a number of high tech issues. As someone pointed out earlier, all your chimes, On-Star, Bluetooth runs through the radio. Secondly, the CAN bus provides the power and this is not as straight forward as previous models. (If you don't know what the CAN bus is........) There are interfaces available to do what you want to do.....

I recommend you call these people:

http://www.pac-audio.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=26
    yes you are correct or also known as "lan-bus" this system is definately not as str8 forward, and as for in stalling a backup camera its more than just running wires you still need to know where the reverse wire is for the camera to turn on while in reverse. if you dont know anyone that knows that body style truck then i would take it somewhere for sure. I remember the very first 07 i worked on and i used the harness Metra told me to use and it wasnt the right one which caused the trucks gauges to turn on every light and the needles just sat there and moved up and down, truck also wouldn't start i even had the same problem with an 07 cobalt ss, im not kidding either these were first hand experiences when these models first came out! luckily metra has the right harnesses for all these years now........
    "Assumptions are the mother of all F***-ups.
    |BBK Throttle Body | TBS Spacer | Airaid Intake| SLP Headers | X=Pipe W/ Dual Exhaust Out Side| Goodmark Hood | HID's Heads & Fogs | Pioneer In-Dash| Zapco Reference 200.2| US Amps Merlin MD1D| US Amps XT1600.4| 3 Sets of Component Speakers| Custom Kick Panels| Ten 12 inch Subs| Back-up Cam| Lowered | 22inch Rims| Smoked Tailights| Custom Programming | Color Matched Plastics

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by