GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default anti theft radio

I have a 04 Silverado with the factory radio. I have just found out that this radio has to be reset at the stealership if it was to lose power, such as disconnecting the battery. I have never heard of this, always had the code for any of my other anti thft radios, but I guess it is what it is. My question is this. Can I take a 9 volt battery, hook it up to a accessory plug and back feed it through my accessory plug outlet to keep my memory functions alive? Someone told me about this, but wanted to check here to see if anybody has tried this or if it works. Don't really see any danger in trying it as long as the truck battery is disconnected. I think having to take this to the stealership to reset the radio is a total rip-off!!!! They want 40 bucks to re-activate the radio if it has a power loss. So if I have to change my battery it's going to cost me 40 bucks!!!! What was wrong with giving out the code so we could enter it ourselves. Sheeeesh, it's only a darn radio!!!!
    2004 1500 silverado 4x4
    2003 BMW 325i
    04 Harley Davidson Ultrea Classic

Master Mechanic

on my 04 you can pull the battery out and put a new one in or whatever it is youre doing and hook it back up without any problems.first thing i did on it when i bought it was swap out the batteries.even radio sations were still preset.from what i understand the only time you have to take it to the dealership for the code is if the actual radio is pulled out and unplugged.and then plugged back up
    -Dylan
    2004 Silverado 4x4
    4.8L
    1986 K5 Blazer
    8" Superlift w/39.5 super swampers
    1992 GMC Jimmy "Blue Bomber"
    4.3L Vortec

Default battery

Right, I just changed the battery in my 03 and it all worked fine after hookup.

cool, they didn't tell me that when I called the dealership. That works for me, and makes sense really. thanks guys.

BTW, if u have to change your battery, just leave the truck running while u change it, your alternator will keep your truck running.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors