GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Piston slap Q

Default Piston slap Q

Hello everyone. I'm looking into buying an 04 Sierra SLT ext cab 4x4 w/5300. I'm aware of the piston slap issues many people have had with the 99+ engines. Was this still a problem by 2004?? And is it something that doesn't show up until later? The truck has 75K. Thanks!

I have the slap in my 00 silverado 4.8l. I researched this a while back and read that the piston slap doesnt hurt longevity or performance as long as you let the motor warm up in cold weather.

I let the engine warm up before i drive it in the cold weather and it runs fine.
    '00 1500 4x4 4.8l
    single glasspack
    daily driver/workhorse

got it with my 03 only on first start up in the morning most noticeable when its colder out

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

I had it on my old '06 with 97K miles. it stopped after 2 minutes of warm up.
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

Cool Piston slap Q

Dont have slap in my 05, 5.3 Z-71 but have always been in the south with it (alabama and florida) and have always used Mobil 1 oil. Dont know if that make a differance.

I ended up checking out a 2000 Sierra with the 5.3 and it did indeed make a little noise when I first started it cold. When I got back from the test drive and popped the hood with it running, it was purring like a kitten. Seemed like the tapping only lasted a minute or less after I started it.

i've got it in in my 04 silverado, and like everyone else only when it was cold and after it warms up its fine. i started running synthetic high mileage oil in it as recommended by a friend and disappeared as soon as i did. 4000 miles later, no piston slap.

The noise is because of the type of pistons which have no skirt and are what they call hyperconnectic sp they use them is race engines and they are a low friction piston and they are small in diameter in design and need heat to make them fit the cylinder. Seeing as how every single 3.1,3.4,4.8,5.3,6.0 engine that uses them make the noise There can not be that many cylinders out of round. On race engines inwhich they were designed for noone hears the noise over the loud exhaust but they are a true and proven design and have had no durabilty issues that i have seen.

You maybe interested in this post that we tried and fixed the noise issue http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...olution/page2&

I have 205,000 miles on my 2000 5.3l and it has done it since day one, i always let it idle till it stops. nothing wrong with the slap, most peope just dont like buying 30k trucks and hearing the motor make noise. dont bother me,
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 5.3l. Crappy 4l60e..
    8in skyjacker tsl 33's

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by