GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 09 5.3 First Oil Change

Hi, Getting close to doing the first oil and filter chnage on my 09 Silverado 5.3
    What say you on oil weight and what is the capacity with a new filter?
    Thanks!

Sr. Engineer

I've been using 5w30 in mine, usually takes about 5 1/2 quarts to be at the full mark on the dipstick.

I agree with the 5w30. What does your vehicle manual say on amount? 5-1/2 sounds about right.
    Matt

Being a knucklehead I didn't look it up in the manual-yet anyway. Will do that before going
    to the parts store.
    Thanks for your help guys.

Default Mobile One?

Are you considering synthetic oil? I use it in all of my cars. Supposedly Mobile 1 will give a performance increase and will protect better longer. I change my oil when the on board computer tells me to do so which is always greater than the standard 3,000 miles your dealership will recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by ParisDude View Post
    Are you considering synthetic oil? I use it in all of my cars. Supposedly Mobile 1 will give a performance increase and will protect better longer. I change my oil when the on board computer tells me to do so which is always greater than the standard 3,000 miles your dealership will recommend.

Agree with this. I run 5w30 Mobile 1 in my 05 Tahoe and change when the computer tells me too. I'm on 5000 miles this change and still have about 20% left on oil life.

One piece of advice. Don't skimp on the filter. Buy a good, expensive brand. This will help keep the oil cleaner, longer. The extra few bucks on a good filter will allow you to go longer between changes, and over the course of a year, you'll save that money by only having to change the oil a few times instead of more often with a cheap filter.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Fram now makes high end filters-Xtend and Extend.They are about $7.95 and allow 7000 and 10,000 mile intervals with syn oil.Some of them are higher volume also.

Now there are plenty of Fram naysayers, but these filters are Made in USA or Made In canada-not the cheapo made in the far east filters most folks avoid now.

I try to buy made in USA or at least made in Canada or Mexico rather than made in far east/China stuff.
    The filters have synthetic media backed by SS screens and a silicon anti drainback valve.I assume the silicon valve last longer that whatever it replaced.They also have that great anti slip coating on them!!

I mentioned the fram filters on another forum,and immediately got lots of antifram comments. Fram now monitors forums,and a fram engineer entered the discussion with actual info. Fram apparently has decided to quit ignoring all the anti fram info you can find online.

One comment-WalMarts supertech filters are made on the same assembly line as Mobil I filters.According to him this is 10 years out of date.The cheapo filter in made on some cheapo assembly line, and isn't a rebadged Mobil 1 FILTER.

Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Jr. Apprentice

I work at the Chevy Dealer and according to our books it takes 5w-30 and 6 quarts, some that I have done take 5.5. So get 6 to be safe, I also run MOBIL1 in my wifes car and have noticed since the switch that her gas mileage has improved. Just a side note.
    BowTies are back baby!!!