GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Snow plow??

Hybrid View

Default Snow plow??

I have a '09 Silverado and I'm looking for any info about putting a snow plow on it. Mainly will it screw up anything else, paint, etc? Any info is greatly appreciated, I just moved to Colorado from Louisiana and have next to nothing when it comes to snow driving experience.

Thanks
    09 Silverado 5.3 LT Crewcab Z71, Rhino Line, Rough Country leveling kit
    87 samurai........:jap: haha

Driving in the snow is hazardous to your vehicle even without a plow attached. The typical unit plugs into a front receiver hitch. You might want to try driving a season without the plow before you decide to add that to the truck.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by jow003 View Post
    I have a '09 Silverado and I'm looking for any info about putting a snow plow on it. Mainly will it screw up anything else, paint, etc? Any info is greatly appreciated, I just moved to Colorado from Louisiana and have next to nothing when it comes to snow driving experience.

Thanks
    How are you gonna handle the cold? I mean, I get cold in Feb. when the wind blows, lol. Where from in LA did you move? I lived in Pearl River for 20 years, and now I'm temporarily located in Baton Rouge.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Green_95 View Post
    How are you gonna handle the cold? I mean, I get cold in Feb. when the wind blows, lol. Where from in LA did you move? I lived in Pearl River for 20 years, and now I'm temporarily located in Baton Rouge.

I lived about 4 hours north in Ruston while I went to college.

As far as handling it, I dont know, I'm glad my truck came with the remote start so hopefully that will help with getting ice off. As for me, I have a feeling I will have to invest in alot more cold weather gear than I needed down south.

To make it worse (and I think sickly ironic) the job I'm lookin at is an over night security job, so I'm gonna be REAL cold.
    09 Silverado 5.3 LT Crewcab Z71, Rhino Line, Rough Country leveling kit
    87 samurai........:jap: haha

I just put a Boss 8' Super Duty on my 09 2500HD. I had it professionally installed. The plow, install and everything was $3800.00. It's a sweet set-up.

The only problem with it is that they had to cut the front lower plastic cowl to have the receiver unit put on.
    Padre (Chip)
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace -- Jimi Hendrix

2009 Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab, long bed, Blue Granite

Quote Originally Posted by jow003 View Post
    I lived about 4 hours north in Ruston while I went to college.

As far as handling it, I dont know, I'm glad my truck came with the remote start so hopefully that will help with getting ice off. As for me, I have a feeling I will have to invest in alot more cold weather gear than I needed down south.

To make it worse (and I think sickly ironic) the job I'm lookin at is an over night security job, so I'm gonna be REAL cold.
    ugh, I couldn't do it. I just couldn't do it...
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

How much plowing do you intend to do? What's your typical snowfall, and does it come in big storms?
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Jr. Mechanic

Unless they changed it, if it is not at least a 1500HD you WILL void your warranty if you install a plow on it. Only trucks that are equiped from the factory with a plow package does GM consider plowable. Which is a 1500HD or heaver. Any 2500 or 3500 can have a plow attached and not void the factory warranty, but not a standard 1500 model.
    I just didnt want you to find out the hard way is all.( Not trying to talk you out of doing it.) But I would strongly suggest you give your dealership a call where you bought it and ask if it will kill your warranty.
    Good luck to you. I live in the Buffallo NY area..so I am used to cold and snow.<LAUGH> But still.. I am NOT looking forward to it again this year.