GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    Default What transmission.

    Alright people I am in need of some help in the transmission area. My nv3500 is about to take a crap on me which is fine because I am building my engine up to the 450-500 hp range. Obviously the nv3500 wont handle this much. What would be the best route to go for 5 spd transmissions? nv4500? any others?


    I have a 93 k1500 5.7l 350

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by okysmokey911 View Post
    Alright people I am in need of some help in the transmission area. My nv3500 is about to take a crap on me which is fine because I am building my engine up to the 450-500 hp range. Obviously the nv3500 wont handle this much. What would be the best route to go for 5 spd transmissions? nv4500? any others?


    I have a 93 k1500 5.7l 350
    The NV 4500 is the way to go. Granny low and overdrive so you get the best of both worlds. The other alternative is an automatic 4L80E but that would require a lot of extra work and money including an aftermarket TCM.
    Jim

    2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows



    Other rides:

    1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    The NV 4500 is the way to go. Granny low and overdrive so you get the best of both worlds. The other alternative is an automatic 4L80E but that would require a lot of extra work and money including an aftermarket TCM.

    Yeah I considered going to automatic route but I kind of like having the manual. I have been trying to read up on the nv4500 and some people have said that it should bolt right up? Is this true? What about the bell housing?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by okysmokey911 View Post
    Yeah I considered going to automatic route but I kind of like having the manual. I have been trying to read up on the nv4500 and some people have said that it should bolt right up? Is this true? What about the bell housing?
    You will need the matching bell housing, throw out bearing, clutch and flywheel. The clutch and flywheel may be the same but I would check that out by doing a search at AutoZone or Napa and see if the part numbers are the same.
    Jim

    2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows



    Other rides:

    1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    You will need the matching bell housing, throw out bearing, clutch and flywheel. The clutch and flywheel may be the same but I would check that out by doing a search at AutoZone or Napa and see if the part numbers are the same.

    Yeah supposedly the flywheel and clutch are the same. The bell housing is the thing I am having a hard time finding.

Similar Threads

  1. Transmission Pan
    By elishaman in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 01:51 PM
  2. transmission
    By Bill1996 in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 02:26 PM
  3. transmission
    By stepsideoh in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2008, 10:19 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 11:53 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 09:20 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •