GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Catalytic Converter Question

I have an 01 burb 1500 4wd. My service engine soon light came on. I had it checked and it seems that I need a new catalytic converter. I am looking into changing it to a direct fit but here's my question.

The burb conforms to California Emission, ULEV and is OBDII compliant. I now live in AZ and when I called Magnaflow they are telling me that I need to get a CA legal cat since the PCM may not like what a 49 state legal cat would do. I understand that the PCM has CA specs on it but I cant understand why I can install a 49 state legal cat instead. On a side note, I called Summit and they wont even sell 49 state legal to me since my vehicle is conforms to CA. I told them that according to their site they cannot sell or ship to a CA address, I am in AZ.

Any thoughts what I should do. There is atleast a $300 diff between a 49 state legal and the CA legal cat.

Hope this makes sense to someone.

When it comes to Ca. emissions the laws are real strict. I fought this battle a few years back.
    I had a Ca. emissions vehical and was living in Tx. when I was buying the replacement cat they wanted the VIN for the truck it was for, once they got the VIN they refused to sell me the kit I wanted so I had a friend with the same year truck buy the cat for me. I found out a few months later this was considered a violation of clean air standards and carried heavy fines for altering or modifying the exhaust system with unapproved parts. The vehicle was wrecked soon after so it doesnt matter anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    When it comes to Ca. emissions the laws are real strict. I fought this battle a few years back.
    I had a Ca. emissions vehical and was living in Tx. when I was buying the replacement cat they wanted the VIN for the truck it was for, once they got the VIN they refused to sell me the kit I wanted so I had a friend with the same year truck buy the cat for me. I found out a few months later this was considered a violation of clean air standards and carried heavy fines for altering or modifying the exhaust system with unapproved parts. The vehicle was wrecked soon after so it doesnt matter anymore.

And to make it worst I just found out that they have even sticter laws as of 01/2009

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...ftermktcat.htm

http://www.car-sound.com/04basics/04california.asp

gotta love the great state of CA. But we're saving the world out here
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member