GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Tahoe Used for Towing Travel Trailer

Hi, this is my first message in this forum.

I am a very happy owner of a 2007 Tahoe. Since April 2007 I have been using it to pull a 31 foot Travel Trailer. Most of the 40,000 miles that I have on the truck has been done on the Interstate roads. I have seen lots of Travel Trailers being towed, but I have not seen another Tahoe pulling a Travel Trailer. So Iím wondering and would like hear back if there is anybody other than me using their Tahoe for towing a Travel Trailer.

Dave,
    Long Island, NY

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, in the Florida Panhandle, so far out that we are in the Central Time Zone

Default Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I have a 25' Airstream Travel Trailer that weighs 7400# ready to travel. I formerly had a 2004 Tahoe that I used to pill the trailer' It did OK on the flats, but struggled on significant upgrades. I also have a Suburban 2500, and it does a better job.
    Brian McCabe
    Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
    '05 Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
    '11 Silverado 3500

Hi Brian:

Thanks for the welcome and for your quick reply.

Our trailer has a GVWR of 7643 and the Tahoe has the trailering package & the 4.10 axle ratio.

We have had 2 trips to Fl. mostly in the Claremont & the Tampa areas. We did make 1 camping trip to CA last year and another camping trip to VT this summer which had some hills. The Tahoe seemed to handle most of the hills with little or no problems.

The gas mileage is between 9 & 10 miles per gallon when towing, and up to 17 when not.

Dave,
    Long Island, NY

Default Use Tahoe to pull 26ft trailer

Hi Dave,

I pull our travel trailer (6000+ pounds) with our '08 Tahoe. It works well on flat grades which is the bulk of our camping trips. On a couple of Allegheny mountain trips, I felt that it was somewhat under powered. That being said, we don't pull the trailer that much. Most of the time it serves as my wife's daily commuter. For that I love the truck.

Welcome to the site!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Well, those 4.10 gears certainly help on the hills. It sounds like you have done quite a bit of towing with your Tahoe. The biggest disadvantage of it is the short wheelbase. But I think by now you would know if you had a problem. Keep your fluids fresh, especially the transmission. Synthetic all the way around to help with the heat buildup.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Default Tranny

The transmission in my 07 Tahoe LTZ quit @ 55,000 miles. The tranny is a glaring weak spot IMHO. I'd be really careful about putting any more than normal wear and tear on the stock transmission.

Jr. Apprentice

Default pop up

We use our 05 Tahoe to pull the pop-up its about 2200# and had no problems. Have pulled it in the NC mountains, also use the tow button on the gear shift lever will help in hilly areas. Flat land no problems at all

Jr. Apprentice

Default Towing

Fluid and filter changes are very important when trailer towing. Synthetic fluids are a good option as they canstand more excessive heat and tend not break down as fast. 15000 miles service for towing heavy, A transmission temp gauge is strongly advised as the temps shoulld be kept between 170 to 190 degrees. Having a tow package is a plus.

I put 115,000 on our 2005 Tahoe towing a 22' 7000lb travel trailer. I kept the fluids fresh and did not have one single problem. We now have a 2007 with 65,000 and so far so good. We are in Florida where it is flat, but I think it would not do so well in the hills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast