GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 91 acceleration problem

I have a 91 Suburban 1500 with the 5.7L I bought a couple weeks ago. It accelerates good with just a little throttle, but when I open it up more it just sputters and doesn't go. I let off a little and it runs fine. Here's what I've done so far: plugs, wires, cap and rotor as soon as I got it. Did a compression check, all were between 170 and 180 psi. I also put a can of Seafoam in the gas tank. Today I checked the coil and the secondary resistance was WAY high, so I put a new coil in it, and also an air filter cause that was looking pretty bad. That helped some, but it still has an issue. What I haven't done yet is check the fuel pressure. From what I can tell, it looks like I have to rig something up to do that (I have a pressure tester that connects to a schraeder valve). I also need to check the timing. So, any other ideas what could be causing this?
    - 91 Suburban 1500 2wd 5.7L (mine)
    - 05 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi (wifes)

Quote Originally Posted by 91Burb View Post
    I have a 91 Suburban 1500 with the 5.7L I bought a couple weeks ago. It accelerates good with just a little throttle, but when I open it up more it just sputters and doesn't go. I let off a little and it runs fine. Here's what I've done so far: plugs, wires, cap and rotor as soon as I got it. Did a compression check, all were between 170 and 180 psi. I also put a can of Seafoam in the gas tank. Today I checked the coil and the secondary resistance was WAY high, so I put a new coil in it, and also an air filter cause that was looking pretty bad. That helped some, but it still has an issue. What I haven't done yet is check the fuel pressure. From what I can tell, it looks like I have to rig something up to do that (I have a pressure tester that connects to a schraeder valve). I also need to check the timing. So, any other ideas what could be causing this?
    Dirty Mass Air Flow Sensor?
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Didn't realize these had one. I know I had that issue with a Mustang I had. I'll look in to it, thanks for the reply.