GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Who pulls trailers and lifted their truck?

So i drive a 2006 2500HD chevy ext. 8ft bed truck. i want to lift it but i pull goosenecks and 5th wheel campers. is a 6 in front and 4 rear lift going to prevent me from pulling most trailers?

Yes for a couple possible reasons:
    How much total lift are you talking after tires? Gooseneck and 5th wheels run much better when the hitch platform is level with the hitch, they do have some adjustability but probably not enough to make up for the different height your planning.
    Most aftermarket suspension parts reduce weight capability on a truck, lifted springs rarely are rated at the original manufacturers rating.
    As a rule of thumb if your using a truck to pull trailers you dont want to add a lift.

I was wondering the same thing. I have an 06 1/2 ton and pull a 28ft. travel trailer,and was wondering if I put a 2in. leveling kit on mine how would it effect the camper.
    Tom

06 Silverado 4x4
    Westin bars
    GM hood guard
    Extang tonneau cover
    Catback exhaust
    3.5in SS tips
    K&N Cold air intake

previous:
    05 Colorado Z71

It won't effect the 2 inch leveling kit hardly any from stock, just might reduce turning, as it raises the front end, and the rear end will still be like stock, so the front end will be even higher, that means less weight on the front tires to turn. So, turning might be changed. Oh, and the front end of your truck will be in the air when towing.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Cool Who pulls trailers and lifted their truck?

Dont lift your truck if you are going to tow those larger trailers. The truck will be a hand full at highway speeds.

Legend

Would an airbag suspension be better???
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

A 2" kit wont hurt, you can adjust out enough for the trailer hitch.
    Airbags are great as long as you arent trying to lift the truck to high, most new airbag kits are rated higher than factory springs. Firestone makes about 80% of the airbags out and they really know what their doing with their product.
    The key to safely towing trailers is to keep the weight low and the truck and trailer level.
    Getting the truck or trailer nose or tail high contributes to sway.
    If properly loaded your truck and trailer should be parallel to the ground on a flat surface.

yeah right now the truck and camper sit pretty level w/ the weight distribution just wondered if it still would if I added the 2in. leveling kit. don't they use blocks or something for the rear?
    Last edited by black06; 09-26-2009 at 08:33 AM.

Most leveling kits raise the front and the back stays where its at.
    I dont think you'd have a problem with a leveling kit, the truck/trailer combo would pretty much still stay level, and you should have a little height adjustability to level it back out if it doesnt.

MY buddy has a 2500 on 39s and pulls his malibu 23lsv but idk bout a 5thwheel
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by