GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Trying to make my exhaust louder

I have a 99' Tahoe with dual exhaust. it was on the truck before i bought it, i think the mufflers are Flowmaster's but i'm not sure. they might be some off-brand. It's a true dual exhaust system, (Two of everything from the engine-back). So my question is Can i take off the Cats and straight-pipe it to make it louder? i live in SC, so we dont have emmision's test. So would taking the cats off make it louder and give it a more deep, throaty sound?
    -Jason
    99' Chevy Tahoe
    5.7 Litre Vortec
    Flowmaster true dual exhaust
    Super sport fog lights
    grille guard
    Pioneer stereo W/ 12"sub
    bike & kayak rack
    stock 03' tahoe wheels
    snow tires

Taking the cats off will do that, but also make it snap and crackle. Getting headers will make it deep and throaty, especially long tube headers.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

I would love to get some headers, i just cant afford it. I'm just looking for a cheap way to make it louder. Would taking the cats off hurt anything?

It'll turn on your engine light, because the o2 sensors will be reading that your exhaust is rich. You will need to either program the computer to not read this, or get o2 simulators.

Good luck in your project!

Legend

Check around for O2 simulators "tuner" sites are the best place to find them or just get a custom tune and have them deleted that way
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

You can put a e-cutout after the cats. http://dmhperformance.com/ its the flip of a switch

Not to mention taking off the cats is a Federal Crime and the last place I'd want to announce I'm commiting a crime is on the internet.
    Leave the cats on they serve a purpose and you wont gain anything by removing them other than to piss off your neighbors with the added noise, and they might just get pissed enough to send the law around to have a talk with ya.

well i didnt know taking the cats off was a crime, but i dont think i have to worry about my neigbors, they would probably help me take em' off. LOL. well i guess i'll reconsider....

id run cut ofs right after the cat having them dump towards the ground. your truck will be very loud and still legal when u need it
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

if you really want to do something with the cats, then there's a way to do it but make it legal, take the cats off, get a broom handle or something, bang out all the filter, honeycomb, and what not, and once it's cleaned out, put them back on, nobody but you will know the difference, and unless any law enforcement is really REALLY bent on bagging you for something, they won't know.

Kyle

1995 Chevy Tahoe LS, 2 door, 5 SPEED! 5.7L TBI, headlights and taillights, luminics pure blue halogens, delta 44 flowmaster, K&N Cold Air Intake, Street Performance Throttle Body Spacer, LED blinker and taillight bulbs, all 12 interior bulbs converted to blue LEDs, blue interior LED kit, Nu image gauge faces, Panasonic deck with Kenwood performance speakers all around
    NEW: 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers (16x10 Dick Cepek Dc-2's soon to come!)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by