GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Exclamation Rear tailgate is well broke

This week me and my truck have been working all over town and all day. On Monday while working at my friends eagle scout project I had the tailgate open most of the day. At the end of the day after many people siting on it and loading stuff on it and so on we were packing the truck up and my friend shut the tail gate and only one side closed and I told him to re close it he tried same result. I got out of the truck to inspect what happened...

The hinge the tailgate is on has rusted off the truck at the weld to the body. Its still on there and we were able to close the trucks tailgate but I'm not opening it again. I'm mainly wondering how am I going to fix it and how much will it cost?

I didn't snap any pics of the damage and I'm in VT with out the truck this weekend so I'll take some pics Monday but any ideas?

Also on another note the truck hit 195,000 miles on Monday still running great! Just wish the body was as solid as the motor.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I'm not sure if no one knows the answer or if my thread just wasn't seen, but I really would like an answer.

I'm assuming you're talking about the hinge that is connected to the body at the bottom of the tailgate...they sell replacements for those, and it looks like they bolt on, or attach with a few spot welds. I'm not sure what you could do about any type of quick fix.

2008 Ext. Cab Silverado LT1 5.3L 2WD
    APC LED Tail Lights | Spec D Smoked Third LED Brake Light | aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI

The hinge works, just the mounting point to the body is rusted out and has fallen apart.

Here's the pics of the damage now the tailgate is fully off the body.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-22_16-05-51_641.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	38175

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-22_16-05-57_941.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	38176

Really no one has an answer.

Those hinges are tack welded on at the factory as the body panels are going on, that particular one is buried behind another panel and without some serious surgery I dont believe you can get to it.
    I've seen that particular panel repaired on another Suburban a few years back, that truck had real bad corrosion and after the owner cleaned the corrosion out there wasnt much metal left to secure the hinges to so he welded in a panel across the whole section.
    prior to welding the panel in he drilled holes and tack welded nuts to the back side of the panel then drilled the hinges, after welding he bolted the hinges on the panel.
    Either way not an easy repair.

My main question is how much is it gonna cost so I have a base line and won't get jiped by some shop.

Unfortunately I couldnt be accurate at that, factors are gonna be how much per man hour, how many manhours required to get at the area, and the cheapest cost will be probably materials required.
    With a ball park guess and labor priced $70 an hour, roughly 8 hours work, another $200 for parts and supplies, so your looking at $1320 not including tax.
    Thats and odd repair so they wont be able to go straight to a book and get repair times, and barring unforseen problems (more corrosion or structural damage) prices could get higher, also I guessed at labor based on what my favorite body man tries to charge me, your cost may be different.

Thanks I will contact my local shop I don't remember their rate tho.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by