GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default OnStar non-responsive

Today when I got in my truck, the OnStar buttons would not work. I called OnStar and they had me try all the buttons with the radio on, to confirm that the radio doesn't cut out, which it doesn't. Their simple answer was "take it to the dealer".

I like OnStar, but not necessarly enough to pay big money to get it fixed. Anyone know what may be broken?

Thanks!
    2005 Tahoe Z71

your not paying for the service?
    2004 Chevy Silverado w/ 5.3L V8 / Z71 / Shorty

Would rather be going too fast then too slow:out:

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
    your not paying for the service?
    No, service is paid for, and I've confirmed with OnStar that there is nothing wrong with my account.

If I rent a GM with OnStar and press the buttons, they still work even though the service isn't paid for in that car. This is a technical issue with the car/OnStar/radio...
    2005 Tahoe Z71

Jr. Mechanic

For some reason it is not that unusual of a problem now in 2009. I have seen a few dozen cars come in and have to have their onstar repaired, including my mother in law. I would not suggest fixing it yourself as the techs that work on them in the back here are ready to shoot themselves when they get done!
    Really, you have to have another connection with onstar in order to fix it, I dont even know if you COULD fix it on your own, but again I would not suggest it. Other than checking the wiring you can get at for power going to the onstar head unit, not a lot more you can do on your own. The normal time I see them spend on them ranges from an hour to over four. So it COULD be kind of expensive to repair.
    But check with onstar..as you are a service member there MAY be warranty on it even if you bought the truck USED. If you bought it new then of course there would be no charge at all for repairing it.
    Good luck with your problem.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    For some reason it is not that unusual of a problem now in 2009. I have seen a few dozen cars come in and have to have their onstar repaired, including my mother in law. I would not suggest fixing it yourself as the techs that work on them in the back here are ready to shoot themselves when they get done!
    Really, you have to have another connection with onstar in order to fix it, I dont even know if you COULD fix it on your own, but again I would not suggest it. Other than checking the wiring you can get at for power going to the onstar head unit, not a lot more you can do on your own. The normal time I see them spend on them ranges from an hour to over four. So it COULD be kind of expensive to repair.
    But check with onstar..as you are a service member there MAY be warranty on it even if you bought the truck USED. If you bought it new then of course there would be no charge at all for repairing it.
    Good luck with your problem.
    I actually had the car at the dealer for an unrelated issue about a week ago. I asked them to look at the OnStar issue, and he told me that I would be looking at $400+ for whatever the problem was. I told him that I liked OnStar, but not that much and not to bother.

So, I get my car back, and it works! I figure that unplugging the battery (they were servicing the fuel system, so I assume they did) long enough reset "something" in the OnStar system. Everything works fine now...
    2005 Tahoe Z71

Try taking it to your local car audio shop and have them put in a wiring harness for an aftermarket radio that works with onstar and see if that fixes it and if so your factory radio is bad if it does not fix it that means that your onstar module is bad in the car.