GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2001 Tahoe Tranny Noise?

Hi, I'm new here, and my first topic of course is going to be something about my new truck. I JUST bought this Tahoe home friday night. We haven't signed the paperwork yet... tonight (Monday) is the night I WANT to sign it.
    First thing, the truck runs good. Bad thing, the Tranny is making a hard "clank" noise everytime it shifts to 2rd or to 3rd gear at 1500 RPM. And when it slows down, it does the same thing...

Is it something that could be easily fixed? What could it be? Does it need a new Transmission already?

Update, I just went threw reading a few topics. I read there where very similer problems. I ask the dealer to check either the Rear Diff., U Joints and the Rear Locker (I have never heard of that part before). I'll bring them up during my lunch break, and have them look into that. Hopfully this will be solved before I sign the paperwork. I really love this Tahoe

Great. What's the configuration of it? 2001 with what engine and tranny type? How many miles?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Let us know if you end up signing the paperwork for it. You can post a photo or two if you like.

Hey, I'm so sorry for not getting back to ya'll. I did sign the paperwork. The engine is a V8 5.3 ltr. I also got a 2 year warrenty, so if the trans goes, they pay for it..lol. BUT they said it's normal for a Tahoe that has thhe the time automatic 4X4. The tech said it's the way it is. The front drive tran is always spinning, so it does that sound because it's not in 4 wheel drive. My fience' who is a machanic says it doesn't sound like it should be the way it is.
    Once I get my parts in, I'll get updated pictures of it. I bought clear tail lights and a cool air intake for it already :D
    Picture from Dealership.

EDIT: Forgot, it's got 79,000 miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stef1982
    Hey, I'm so sorry for not getting back to ya'll. I did sign the paperwork. The engine is a V8 5.3 ltr. I also got a 2 year warrenty, so if the trans goes, they pay for it..lol. BUT they said it's normal for a Tahoe that has all the time automatic 4X4. The tech said it's the way it is. The front drive tran is always spinning, so it does that sound because it's not in 4 wheel drive. My fience' who is a machanic says it doesn't sound like it should be the way it is.
    Once I get my parts in, I'll get updated pictures of it. I bought clear tail lights and a cool air intake for it already :D
    Picture from Dealership.

EDIT: Forgot, it's got 79,000 miles on it.