GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by 06SCSilverado View Post
    as in your halfway up a hill and can't make it all the way and start to roll back your hubs lock down keeping you from rolling backwards
    I've never heard of a set of hubs designed like that. They would be almost useless for 4wheeling. Unless you tackle a lot of hills you cant climb.
    I believe your misunderstanding terms and how your particular front drivetrain works.

Locking hubs normally refers to hubs that must be manually locked by turning the inner portion of the hub thus locking that particular hub, this doesnt mean you'll always have power to that hub while its locked though, that would ony happen if you had a front locker, or in the case of an open diff (which is what your truck was sent from the factory with) if that particular wheel was having traction problems.

What your refering to is auto locking hubs, they lock as soon as you shift the truck into 4wd via electric or vacuum servos (depending on yr model truck) and provide power to one wheel at a time normally, they do not hold or stop the truck on a hill if it starts backing down.

as in your halfway up a hill and can't make it all the way and start to roll back your hubs lock down keeping you from rolling backwards
    Do you mean the Auto Trac transfer case? With the Auto4wd button?

GM has not used selectable hubs on pickups since 87. You can't even retrofit manual hubs onto the current front drive axle/wheel bearing setup.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

ahhh prob that's right...im still new to Z71 so I'm learning all the time...so we don't have autolocking hub's on Z71...i thought most all 4wd trucks have locking hubs to prevent you from rolling back down any steep terrain while in 4wd...i just know from my limited experience that when i can't make it up large hills and start to roll back the truck immediately stops even b4 i have the brakes applied

also in my window sticker it says rear locking hubs?????

i guess im just confused

My 2002 also came with a 2" block on the rear axle., along with the skid plates and tranny cooler for hauling.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

...i thought most all 4wd trucks have locking hubs to prevent you from rolling back down any steep terrain while in 4wd...i just know from my limited experience that when i can't make it up large hills and start to roll back the truck immediately stops even b4 i have the brakes applied
    I won't say that doesn't exist, but I have never heard of such a thing. Ever.

also in my window sticker it says rear locking hubs?????
    More likely locking rear differential.

i guess im just confused
    Don't be offended, but yes, you are. Start by reading your owners manual. Then get a Chilton or Haynes repair manual for your truck. You will have a much better understanding of how your truck works.

Locking Hubs or (Lock Outs) are on the front axle, you engage and disengage them to engage or disengage your halfshafts to spin your front drive shaft. Locking hubs, when switched appropriately, will allow the front wheels to turn independently of the drivetrain.

Accordingly, the locking hubs engage or disengage 4x4, not stop your vehicle from rolling down a hill backwards.

Ford trucks use them the most. A z71 has skid plates, stiffer suspension, Bilstein shocks from what I know. You can tell when a 4x4 truck doesn't have the Z71 package, not only from the missing sticker but from the ride height.

Don't be offended, but yes, you are. Start by reading your owners manual. Then get a Chilton or Haynes repair manual for your truck. You will have a much better understanding of how your truck works.
    ohh trust me i'm not offended...life is too short to be offended especially by people you don't even know on a random forum website...thanks for the info

ohh trust me i'm not offended...life is too short to be offended especially by people you don't even know on a random forum website...thanks for the info
    I wish more people had that perspective LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12