GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Pinion torque specs?? Plz help

I have a 1993 Suburban K1500. It's got a 350 with a 10-bolt rear end. I have a leaky pinion seal and housing seal so I am planning on replacing the seals in the very near future.

Problem is I need to know what to torque the pinion to after I replace the seal?? Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Zach

Default 10 bolt pinion torque spec

Fyi..................

when assembling the pinion into place, include the crush sleeve between the two pinion bearings. This sleeve must be replaced every time the pinion nut is torqued. Many mechanics use an impact gun while others insist the nut should be torqued by hand. Either way, the nut should be tightened to produce 24-32-in-lb of torque to turn the pinion gear with a new bearing. This is without the ring gear in place.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by zach93 View Post
    I have a 1993 Suburban K1500. It's got a 350 with a 10-bolt rear end. I have a leaky pinion seal and housing seal so I am planning on replacing the seals in the very near future.

Problem is I need to know what to torque the pinion to after I replace the seal?? Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Zach
    You can replace the pinion seal without changing the crush sleeve. You have to do it a little differently though. First mark the position of the nut with a chisel or other method so you can tighten it back to exactly the same place. Next remove the nut and change the seal. Then use lock-tight on the threads and tighten the nut back to where it was. The trick is to get it tight as possible without crushing the sleeve any more then it already is crushed. This method works every time is done precisely as described. If the nut is loose then the crush sleeve must be changed.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Thats it?? 24-32 INCH pounds?? I thought the pinion nut would be more like 50-75 FOOT pounds? Is that really all it takes? I figured since the drive shaft has all that force going to the pinion, it would need a lot more than that...

Zach

The inch pound rating is the force required to turn the pinion after the crush sleeve has been crushed.
    The actual torque required to crush the sleeve is probably in the hundreds of foot pounds. I had to use a breaker bar, a pipe, and stand on it to crush that sleeve.
    1989 GMC Suburban SLE 2500 4WD 5.7L Granny 4-speed
    1987 Ford Mustang GT 5.0L 5-speed
    1987 Honda Interceptor VFR700

Zach,

The torque setting is for checking the preload on the bearing. If you would like to get a new crush sleeve and crush it then we're talking over 100 ft lbs of torque.

Do you want to do this the easy way? If so forget about torque settings and do it the way I described in an earlier post.

If you want to use a torque wrench then buy a crush sleeve and pull the axles and carrier out. Then measure the existing torque it takes to turn the pinion shaft with an inch lbs torque wrench. This is the turning torque you want after changing the seal and reusing old pinion bearings. Any tighter than this will wipe out the old bearings real fast.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible