GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default "ticking" sound while accelerating

Hey everyone.

I have a 1995 chevy silverado, 1500, 350 5.7L

for quite a while now, theres been a pretty loud ticking noise that scales with my rpms as i accelerate, heard inside the cab, i cant figure out what it is. It seems to only make noise inside the cab when its in drive, but when its in park, its heard outside the truck quite loud, but no sound made inside.

I recently had a set of long tube hooker headers installed, true duals thru flowmaster 40 series exhaust, so im assuming the problems coming from that, but ive tightened down my headers and whatnot, just have no clue how to diagnose how to solve the problem.

Since im a student i cant afford to take her into GM and have them figure it out for me, so i was wondering if anyone had a idea as to what is exactly causing the sound and how to fix it.

Sr. Engineer

Probably the headers. Did you get new manifold gaskets or re-use the old ones?

Sr. Apprentice

On my 01 2500HD 6.0L it does the same thing. It has been doin it for atleast 50k and the mechanics didnt see it as a big deal. So im not sure if its the same thing or not.

2007 Z71 Silverado 1500 LT NNBS
    5.3L
    Custom Dual Exhaust
    2.25" ReadyLift
    285/65-R18 Kumho's
    Factory Steps
    Big Tex Cattle Guard
    Delta Pro Tool Box
    Chrome Door Handles
    WeatherTech Floormats
    Spray In Bedliner

I used the new supplied gaskets with the graders, I had a shop do the whole exhaust. It was too long ago for me to bring it back and have a free fix. Any easy way to tell if the gaskets are still good without taking off the headers?

Quote Originally Posted by thattallguy32 View Post
    Hey everyone.

I have a 1995 chevy silverado, 1500, 350 5.7L

for quite a while now, theres been a pretty loud ticking noise that scales with my rpms as i accelerate, heard inside the cab, i cant figure out what it is. It seems to only make noise inside the cab when its in drive, but when its in park, its heard outside the truck quite loud, but no sound made inside.

I recently had a set of long tube hooker headers installed, true duals thru flowmaster 40 series exhaust, so im assuming the problems coming from that, but ive tightened down my headers and whatnot, just have no clue how to diagnose how to solve the problem.

Since im a student i cant afford to take her into GM and have them figure it out for me, so i was wondering if anyone had a idea as to what is exactly causing the sound and how to fix it.
    now you know why a lot of guys don't like headers. i took mine off my chevy. i got sick of the ticking noise. made my truck sound like a ****box.
    s
    the stock manifolds have no gasket, metal to metal, so there is nothing to blow out. gaskets don't live long under the heat and pressure, and as they go through the thermal cycles of hot to cold, cheaper headers warp. well, they all warp sooner or later.

in addition,the shop may of stripped a bolt putting them in, do you think they would have told you? do you know what a job that is to fix? it must be drilled out and helicoiled, providing there is room for the drill and insertion tools.

:( yeah its really starting to get on my nerves, im considerin putting the stock manifold back on, but i dont think itll be able to bolt up to the exhaust sadly.

how hard is it to replace the gasket?

Quote Originally Posted by thattallguy32 View Post
    :( yeah its really starting to get on my nerves, im considerin putting the stock manifold back on, but i dont think itll be able to bolt up to the exhaust sadly.

how hard is it to replace the gasket?
    the gasket will blow again, there is not enough compressivre force to keep it from leaking. that is why the stock manifolds are so heavy, and there is no gasket. put the stock headers on and don't worry about it.

The quickest trouble shooting method to see if it is your header gasket would be to tighten down all the header bolts, some are most likely loose. If the ticking doesn't stop, well.. then it could be a pushrod or even a connecting rod. But the connecting rod would be a low end knocking sound.
    It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

I tightened them a while back, i can kind of tell its the gasket since i can see some blackening by one or 2 of the pipes. so yeah, FML. i dont even have the stock headers, i can prolly get some at the pick a part, but hookin the exhaust up to them would be pretty challenging.

look into getting a set of locking bolts for your headers.They basically tighten down and then lock in place so they do not back off.There are several different types, most of them work well and none of them are expensive.Tightening your header bolts is still something that you should do as a sort of maintenance item- every three or four thousand miles.I have also had good luck with copper gaskets. they still will leak, but the gasket will not burn out like the fibre ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by