GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 04 2500HD 6.0L Tranny 4L80E Help, Think i have a big problem Please help!

Okay I have a 04 Chevy 2500hd 6.0l gas motor. It has 70k miles on it but not really any of them are towning miles. But i think there is a problem with my TRANSMISSION.

PROBLEM: When i am driving on the freeway at cruising speed, so anything over 55 the tranny goes into overdrive as normal. BUT if i let off the gas at all, i mean just a hair the truck will come out of lockup, (not down shift just come out of lock up) and then when i reapply the gas it will go back into to lockup. Can you guys see if yours does this or is this normal for this truck. Shoud I pay the $100 to have the dealer look at it??????

It has always done this since I have had it at 60k miles and I always am worried about it.

I have a Hypertech but it does it if it is programmed or not. I have stock tire size and have not adjusted anything other than the 87 octane fuel in the controller. But i have tried it programmed and not and it still does it.

I have a '91 Sub that does the same thing. Hasn't caused me any issues, though it can be slightly irritating. Even if this progresses into a real problem, it's not a transmission issue, just the torque converter. The torque converter is what locks up, giving you a better highway economy, and unlocks when you need more power.
    Jess

1991 Suburban

Update: the down upon acceleration is working right along with the lockup and unlock. I an able to accelerate a fair amount before it will unlock or downshift. It is only when I take my foot off the.gas a little or all the way it unlock then locks backup. Any advice guys

Quote Originally Posted by stang233 View Post
    Update: the down upon acceleration is working right along with the lockup and unlock. I an able to accelerate a fair amount before it will unlock or downshift. It is only when I take my foot off the.gas a little or all the way it unlock then locks backup. Any advice guys
    I have an 06 that did the smar thing. At about 100,000 the trany went out. I had it rebuilt with a new torque converter. It still did the same thing. I took it to the dealer and they programmed the computer and said it was good to go. I now have 122,000 on it and it is starting to do it again. I have to think it is something in the computer. I may get a new computer put in to see if that fixes it.