GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Help driveshaft

Blog Entries

Default Help driveshaft

I noticed red drops of oil coming out the driveshaft, where it connects to the tranny.....slip yoke?

what kind of gasket or oil seel does it need?

Is it possible i can do it myself with out running into major problems, or should i just take it to a shop?

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

It's probably the rear transmission seal leaking. Grab the yoke and try to move it up and down. If it's loose then the bushing must be replaced. IF it's tight then just change the seal. No big deal changing just the seal. Pull the shaft and knock the old seal out with a chisel or screw driver and a hammer. Install the new one with a hammer and a block of wood.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Blog Entries

thanks alot jimmie, is there any possibility that theres a how to somewhere.

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|

Yeah, there's a seal that keeps transmission fluid from leaking out the front yoke. I think it cost me 3 dollars for the seal...or something like that. I'll see if I can find the write-up describing the replacement process.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Blog Entries

thanks alot crawdaddy

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdadd[LEFT
    y;183270][/LEFT]Yeah, there's a seal that keeps transmission fluid from leaking out the front yoke. I think it cost me 3 dollars for the seal...or something like that. I'll see if I can find the write-up describing the replacement process.
    Is the fluid coming out of the center of the yoke??

Some 2WD transmissions with a 1 piece drive shaft have a breather hole in the center of the yoke. This hole allows the drive shaft to slip in and out without an air lock. What happens is transmission fluid floods the splines and seals the yoke which creates an air lock between the yoke and shaft. This air lock causes the yoke to push forward on the output shaft and causes undue wear on the thrust washers and bearings inside the transmission.

If the transmission has this breather hole it will have an O-Ring seal inside which seals the fluid from entering the yoke. These O-Rings wear out and when they do ATF will leak out the center of the yoke.

To replace this O-Ring you have to remove the extension housing. Once the housing is removed it's a simple matter of picking the O-Ring out of it's groove with a scribe or hook tool. I would also replace the rear seal while I had it apart as well as the extension housing seal which is a square cut rubber seal available at any transmission shop.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible