GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Engine Clean-up

Default Engine Clean-up

Gooooooood afternoon,

I'd like to pop open the hood this afternoon and clean my engine. It looked awfully dirty last time I checked my oil in there.

Never cleaned under the hood before. Any recommendations, tips, product, things to watch out for?

Thanks in advance...

01 Silverado ext cab

I'll post some before and after pics...
    Last edited by MB3; 07-20-2009 at 03:42 PM.

BAD IDEA. too many extremely sensitive electronics in there for you to get wet
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

i paid to have it done in my car. i would probably manage to fry somethung if i did it
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

definitely dont wanna fry anything...

Sr. Apprentice black03silverado's Avatar

Cool

this one is definatly one for the pros!!!! just make sure they back up there work if anything does get fried!!
    2008 chevrolet silverado ec/sb 5.3L Z71
    magnaflow dual cat-back exhaust
    K&N filter
    chrome grille
    chrome mirror and door handles
    bed caps
    gm boxliner
    stainless tube steps
    chrome bugger
    ventshades

I use Castrol Super Clean degreaser and a powerwasher with the right nozel. I have done this on all types of cars. Some people will say Im crazy but I have have done it myself so you cant tell me it doesnt work! As long as you have a enclosed filter you should be fine.
    1973 Chevy Nova Drag Car 10.34 @ 128-Still not fast enough!
    2008 Chevy Silverado LT Z71-Sold
    2006 Chevy Trailblazer LT-Sold

Jr. Engineer

Whaat you need to do is get a good all purpose cleaner i use adams APC. Spray the engine compartment down with it and then take a brush and srucb it. Then take you hose on a wide stream of water so it does nto have pressure and spray down the engine. You can also use a pump up sprayer two to put the water on the engine. This way the water is controlled. Some people say start it before you wash it. But i do it after then let it run for a couple minutes this way it drys the enginge bay for you also watch these vids hope this helps.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBzsJRBU0Ns&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - Adams Polishes: Cleaning The Motor (DVD Volume 5)[/ame]

CASCOTT you are wrong, if you want to clean the engine you can use ANY degreaser or even something like simple green. The thing/s you want to watch out for are; siren if you have an alarm on your truck, the alternator, and the open air filter if you have an intake, all you need to do is take grocery bags and double them up and proceed to cover the alternator or any of the other things i listed and you will be fine, i clean my engine up all the time and i have never had a problem, you wont fry anything at all.
    "Assumptions are the mother of all F***-ups.
    |BBK Throttle Body | TBS Spacer | Airaid Intake| SLP Headers | X=Pipe W/ Dual Exhaust Out Side| Goodmark Hood | HID's Heads & Fogs | Pioneer In-Dash| Zapco Reference 200.2| US Amps Merlin MD1D| US Amps XT1600.4| 3 Sets of Component Speakers| Custom Kick Panels| Ten 12 inch Subs| Back-up Cam| Lowered | 22inch Rims| Smoked Tailights| Custom Programming | Color Matched Plastics

I clean my engine at the car wash all the time just put in a few bucks turn the knob to engine degreaser cover the enginge give it a few minutes to soak and then rinse it off. do avoid spraying right at the alteranor or other electrical parts but it can be done
    2000 Silverado Z71 Whipple Supercharger, JBA Headers,3" cat back Flowmaster Exhaust, Volant cai, Pioneer Preimer deck,Orion subwoofer,03 signal light mirrors,03 taililghts

Also clean mine several times a year with no problems after washing.
    1997 Chevy K3500
    4x4 X-Cab Dually
    454 Dual Exhaust

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by