GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default OEM speakers question

My truck has 4 speakers and a 12' sub all of them run off a 1100 watt amp and it receantly stopped working, now I want to run the speakers separete from the sub so I was wondering if a 300 watt amp will be enough or to much for my OEM speakers.
    2000 Chevy Silverado 2WD, single cab, 6 lug, 4.8L V8, Flowmaster, K&N GEN 2 FIPK, Black American Eagle Wheels #186 on 33s BFGoodrich All Terrains, cobra CB radio, Kenwood 1000 watt sound system, optima battery red top.

It might be a little to much considering most decks will put out 20-25 watts per speaker. But on the other hand, a lot of speakers are destroyed by distortion which a sign of being under powered.
    I would replace the OEM speakers with some nice aftermarket speakers then run them off of your amp.
    http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg98/bubbasmug/th_DSCF0520.jpg

Sr. Apprentice

Would you happen to know of a smaller watt amp?? I think the best solution will be to replace the speaker for something aftermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser1 View Post
    Would you happen to know of a smaller watt amp?? I think the best solution will be to replace the speaker for something aftermarket.
    If it were me I would buy some aftermarket speakers and then run them with the 300 watt amp. Most aftermarket speakers can handle the higher wattage.
    Another thing to consider is, not all amps are rated the same. Usually the cheaper amps/no name brand amps will rate their power higher than others just to get you to buy them. Make sure your reading the RMS value of the amp, it is very different from peak wattage which is what the cheaper brands will rate their amps. Other than that I hope this is some what helpful and good luck.

Legend

if you are insistant on keeping the stockers, i would just buy some inline baseblockers and run the speakers off of the deck power. to me just not worth the money to invest in an amp and wiring to connect it to factory crap
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Sr. Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys!! Would any of you happen to know what are the speaker sizes that I need or were can I get this info????

Should be a 6 1/2" speaker. Bestbuy or any of those will have fitment guides and that is what best buy shows.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member