GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Programmer Chip Important Question

Hi guys, I am new to the GMTruckClub forum so this question may have been asked before, but I couldn't find it by doing a search, so I am just going to ask again.

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 4x4 5.3L V8 with a 6" RCD Lift and 35" BFG Mud Terrain tires. Its a beast off road, but what I need is something to give me a few more mpg. I drive back and forth to work 5 days a week in it and it's starting to pay a toll on my bank account.

I am willing to spend around $500 to buy a programmer chip that will increase my fuel economy as well as give me that extra horse power.

Please link me to a website that sells the product you are advising on (if you can) otherwise just give me the make and model of the product and a rough estimate of what it cost.

Thanks a lot guys, and if your in Oregon checkout my website www.oregonquading.com
    Last edited by bobbyg35; 10-14-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Pavement sucks... :grrrrrr:

1994 K1500 4x4 Ext. Cab
    PCM chip and Xenon 8000k bulbs
    350cu.in bored over .050"
    balanced Crank, 10:1 compression
    Flat top pistons,cam,ported heads
    Option Racing Cold Air Intake
    Holley Throttle Body Spacer
    Accell Igition, 45kv coil
    FloTech Headers, no CATs, dual exhuast
    Goodyear Silent Armor A/T 305/70-16
    Pioneer SupertunerIII CD USB Bluetooth
    Kicker ZX200.2 ZX Amp
    Kicker Audio COMP 10" Subwoofer

http://www.wait4meperformance.com/

there was a review done on here with one a little bit back. they custom tune three tunes and put it on a handheld and the price is not that expensive.

Its an SCT handheld and Heavy Chevy has one
    Last edited by dsfloyd; 10-15-2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: found the rest of the info
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Ok, well I got my Hypertech programmer in the mail today with overnighted shipping. I paid $329.00 total with the free overnight shipping included from AnythingAuto, that is a great website with great phone support.

Well to my review now...

I plugged it in to start the programming, immediately it said I need to update my programmer via the internet to get the latest data. So I took it upstairs and with a few plugs into a usb cable and a few clicks of the mouse, I was updated to the latest data specific to my truck.

I went back outside and plugged it in, it asks me to turn the ignition to the run position so I did. I went through the easy to use Hypertech menu where it asks me if I'd like to change many things such as the "regular/premium fuel setting" "shift points" "rear dif ration" "shifting firmness" So I went through and only changed a few things.

I change the fuel to "Premium" because I've tried to always run premium fuel in my truck when I can afford it. I also change the shifting firmness to 50%, and I change the tire setting to 35".

After that I had it run its programming 30 seconds later I was done! I had to turn the ignition off for 30 seconds than that it. I unplugged it and took the truck for a test drive. I immediately notices alot more pep in the throttle, my speedometer was finally accurate with these large tires, and I felt a noticeable difference in the shifting response. I love the programmer and I would recommend it to everyone who wants to gain some hp and increase their mpg.

Without actually putting it up on a DYNO I would think I am getting at least 20 - 25 more HP.
    President/Founder
    www.OregonQuading.com

Good Post! Thanks for the review. Keep in mind now that you have changed the settings you must run premium fuel always or you could damage your engine.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

****ty deal man. If I had saw this thread earlier, I would have offered my Hypertech for free. I don't have any use for it with my custom tune. Sorry man :( One word of caution though, leave your shift firmness to stock levels. The 4L60 tranny's are WEAK!!!!!!! That's my two cents as I went through a few of those transmissions, even beefed up ones.

Oh really? leaving the shift firmness to stock level is best.. I will have to go and modify that then. Let me ask you a question, what do you do with your programmer after you have programmed your truck to the perfect settings? Is it worth it to keep around, can I resell or rent it out or should I just return it?
    President/Founder
    www.OregonQuading.com

Programmers read your specific vin. Can't be used on another vehicle until the orginal vehicle vin is restored to factory default settings, then you can use it on another vehicle. So no resale value, and if they let you return it, you'll be stuck on whatever program settings you chose with no ability to make changes.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg35 View Post
    Oh really? leaving the shift firmness to stock level is best.. I will have to go and modify that then. Let me ask you a question, what do you do with your programmer after you have programmed your truck to the perfect settings? Is it worth it to keep around, can I resell or rent it out or should I just return it?
    You need to keep it. If you bring it for a service and they return your ECU to stock programming, then you are hooped. Also, if that does happen, you would need to send it back to Hypertech to get the ability to use it again. They are only good for one program at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by TYMBOM View Post
    ****ty deal man. If I had saw this thread earlier, I would have offered my Hypertech for free. I don't have any use for it with my custom tune. Sorry man :( One word of caution though, leave your shift firmness to stock levels. The 4L60 tranny's are WEAK!!!!!!! That's my two cents as I went through a few of those transmissions, even beefed up ones.

Do you know if your hypertech would work on my 2008 5.3? If you had a free programmer I have a home for it..
    -2007 Ram 2500 QC 5.9 CTD
    -2008 Taho LT1

"There aren't any problems in the world that can't be solved with the proper application of plastic explosives."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast