GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question aluminum / custom wheels questions

Anyone know where to get the weight of various wheels? I'd like to get some wheels for my van and want to drop as much weight as I can in the process but not sure where to get that information. Thanks.
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only "right wing" if you are too far to the left.

Legend
    Blog Entries

This might sound kind of stupid, but I always look under the shipping information for that particular wheel. I ordered a set of Colorado Custom wheels a few years back, and when I checked out the shipping info it gave me the exact weight per wheel. Other than that it would be the material they are made out of, aluminum is lighter than steel and carbon fiber is by far the lightest wheel on the market but not suitable for a HD van.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

I thought about shipping weight but that is all inclusive I believe and packaging might be different creating some discrepancies. Also, I tried Tire Rack and they only show one wheel in 8 lug 16". Any suggestions where to find a better selection?

Legend
    Blog Entries

Oooh 8 lug is a bit** to find wheels for, I know because I have been there before. Weld Racing has a few rims in 8 lug pattern but they are about $600-$700 each, and Mickey Thompson has several aluminum wheels in 8 lug but that's about all I ever found besides Alcoa wheels and they are Waaaay expensive.

This one is looking a little better all the time except for being made in China. The photo shows 5 lug but the description says 8 lug.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Those wheels are $100/ea. You can count on them being made in China. Most are until you get into custom wheels. That would be in the $3K and up neighborhood.

I've used cheap knockoffs before on other vehicles. Their quality is getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    This one is looking a little better all the time except for being made in China. The photo shows 5 lug but the description says 8 lug.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand
    2006 Chevy Silverado, 5.3L, Z71, Extended Cab. Tow Mule.
    2002 Chevy Corvette Z06, 5.7L, Slightly Modded. Tow Payload.
    2005 Craftsman Riding Mower, 17hp, light mods.

Legend

Helo makes alot of 8 lug wheels and there are great prices for these on eby
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Try this site, they have lots of good info and one of the best resources for wheels available.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/WheelFinder.aspx?bp=8 on 6.5&cio=False&df=18.00&dt=18.00&finish=Polished&co ns=Aluminum&ab=True&pg=1

They do have great customer service but many have had issues ordering parts from them due to thier hidden shipping cost's.
    I usually use their site as a reference resource to find manufacturers that make the parts I want.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Try this site, they have lots of good info and one of the best resources for wheels available.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/WheelFinder.aspx?bp=8 on 6.5&cio=False&df=18.00&dt=18.00&finish=Polished&co ns=Aluminum&ab=True&pg=1

They do have great customer service but many have had issues ordering parts from them due to thier hidden shipping cost's.
    I usually use their site as a reference resource to find manufacturers that make the parts I want.
    I would order them somewhere else though. They are really overpriced. You can find better deals, but like he said good location for information. Look on Ebay!!

Charles

There are a ton of 8 lug on eBay. And fwiw, my new American Racing rims were made in Mexico not China. Don't know if one is better than the other, but it is closer.