GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Mechanic

Question Will the 20" wheels on a 2004 fit on a 2009?

A customer of mine is trying to sell me a set of 20" rims off his AWD 2004 Silverado 1500 SS. I was wondering if anyone knew if they would work ok on a 2009 silverado 1500 2WD?
    I would like to have them to mount a set of winter tires on so that I can just change them over when bad weather sets in. I have 20's on mine now so size is not a problem, but I "think" the 04 had disk breaks, right? And the 2009 went back to drums in the back. I am not sure if that would make a difference or not? Or even IF they had disks in '04, they may not have started until '05??
    My parts guys in the back cant even tell me for certain if they will work or not, as they are different parts numbers for each model year, even if it is the same wheels.
    Thanks for any help you can give me on this subject.
    Shooter==>>

I went to discounttire.com and looked up 20" for both makes and came out with the same wheel so I think they will fit. But I would see if he will let you test fit one on your truck first.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Jr. Mechanic

The problem is he lives over 2 hours away from here. He really only comes in to visit me when it is time to get an oil change or some warranty work, just for something to do. So I would really like to give him a solid answer when I call him to put the deal together. (I dont really have the time to drive to him and try one on there as I work usually 7 days a week now with the market the way it is.)
    Like you, I have seen a number of sites that show the same wheels with the same order number for the 20" rims for the 04 and the 09. The only thing I am wondering is IF there may be a difference between factory rims and aftermarket? With an aftermarket rim it would be easy to shape one on the inside to fit a number of different applications. Where chevy would just make them to fit what ever they were building that year when they bid them out. (At least that has been my expreance with other after market items.) If wheels are like that or not I dont know?
    I think mostly it depends on the bolt pattern and IF they have drum or disk brakes as standard equipment.
    Thank you for your help. I am VERY grateful to you for your assistance.
    I did just come out of the clouds long enough to look up replacement brakes for the '04, they are all disk breaks. So, does anyone know if you can use the wheels from a disk brake truck on a drum break truck?
    Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Shooter; 10-15-2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: more infomation

They should fit just fine. You could put the new wheels on the 04, so i dont see why it wouldnt work the other way. on an 04 SS, it would have 4 wheel discs, but this shouldn't affect anything. the hubs should be the same size, and the lug patterns are the same. Lug pattern (guaranteed to fit) and hub size (almost definitely the same) are all that matter. Whether it has disc or drum brakes does not affect this, as the wheel mounts the same way regardless as long as everything fits.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Jr. Mechanic

Great!! Thanks a bunch. I will give him a call tomorrow and see what I can work out with him.
    Have a good night.
    Shooter==>>