GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Odometer/gear selector lights intermittently working

The odometer/gear selector lights on the instrument cluster appear to be going on the fritz. Sometimes they are completely off, and sometimes they work perfectly. Does anyone know of a place that repairs these things?

I found replacement clusters on E-bay. Would that be plug and play, or would a dealer have to program it to reflect the correct mileage?
    1999 Silverado Z71 Extended Cab New body style

Legend

I know on the 88-98 trucks the factory has to program the odometer for a new cluster, I know yours is a digital readout so I am not sure if that is stored in the computer or the cluster. The dealership can test the cluster to be sure if thats what is actually failing.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

A bad ignition switch can cause this problem. Check the voltage at the instrument fuse when this is happening. If the voltage is below battery voltage you probably have a bad switch.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

It is very easy to pull these gauge clusters. Once it is out, you can replace all of the bulbs from the back of the instrument cluster.You can do it in less than an hour. I assume you are talking about the lights and not the gauges themselves? This is close to the era where they changed the dashes around, but I think this is still true on your truck,although I may be wrong.
    Last edited by brianj; 10-20-2009 at 11:01 PM.

I have the same issue with a 2001 Suburban. It has done it twice now, I start the vehicle and the odometer readout and the gear selection indicator goes dark. I hit the trip reset button a few times and it lights back up. I'm pretty sure this is not going to get better, so a description of the resolution to this problem would be appreciated.

I just mailed mine off to a company in Missouri to have it fixed. They replace the motors, lights, and everything for 189$ free UPS shipping. Should get it back next Monday. drspeedometer.com

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

The cluster is going bad, you would have to take it to the dealer and have them get the part number from the cluster, order it, bring it back in and have them pull out all the info from the bad cluster, install the new one and upload all the info to the new cluster, or like previously mentioned send it off to get rebuilt, they are super simple to remove
    Friends dont let friends drive fords!

Proud GM Technician

Jr. Apprentice

I ended up having mine fixed for 30 bucks! I simply printed out the DIY instructions and took the instructions and the instrument cluster to a local electronics repair shop, since I was not confident in my ability to DIY. Mine still works fine today. Good luck!

Here is a link to the DIY:

http://mrfixit.webnode.com//
    Last edited by rph74; 03-20-2012 at 07:01 AM.

I had a similar problem with my truck last summer. My wife was driving the truck at the time and she says the entire instrument panel flickered and all the gauges went haywire for a few seconds and then everything went dead for a second and came back on like nothing had happened. I told her that's what she gets for driving my truck (lol, just kidding). Anyway, I thought it might be a loose ground so I tightened every ground I could find in the cab and under the hood and I haven't had an issue since then.

2000 GMC Sierra Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Cujonaut View Post
    I had a similar problem with my truck last summer. My wife was driving the truck at the time and she says the entire instrument panel flickered and all the gauges went haywire for a few seconds and then everything went dead for a second and came back on like nothing had happened. I told her that's what she gets for driving my truck (lol, just kidding). Anyway, I thought it might be a loose ground so I tightened every ground I could find in the cab and under the hood and I haven't had an issue since then.

2000 GMC Sierra Z71
    That'll do it. You can put 2000 GMC Sierra Z71 as a signature so you don't have to keep on typing it out as well as a picture