GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: 4l60e swap?

Default 4l60e swap?

I am done messing with this trans .my question is there any other trans that will swap out with the 4l60e in the tahoe?
    :great:KEEP IT RUBBER SIDE DOWN....COME ON!!!!!!COPY!!:glasses:

What year is the truck?
    1989 Pontiac Bonneville LE
    1995 Pontiac Bonneville SE
    1995 Chevrolet Suburban LS 1500 4x4
    2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

The 4L60E transmission is just a part of your Powertrain. It is matched to the engine and drive train. Changing it to something else will cause problems and trouble codes. You could change it to a manual trans and change everything including the computer but that would be very expensive and foolish IMO.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

What issues are you having with your 4L60E that is causing you to want to change it? It is a very strong and reliable transmission provided it is not ABUSED. If you keep blowing the transmission up due to abusing it, no transmission you install will provide better results.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    What issues are you having with your 4L60E that is causing you to want to change it? It is a very strong and reliable transmission provided it is not ABUSED. If you keep blowing the transmission up due to abusing it, no transmission you install will provide better results.

I beg to differ. (Picking a fight with a mod, look at me, lol). The 4L60 is terrible. There is a great, but expensive answer. I went through 5, yes 5!! 4L60's. All exept the stock ones were built as well. I'm the first to admit I beat the hell out of them. Swapping out to a 4L80 is the ticket. In turn you will need to install shorter drive shafts because the 80 is bigger physically than the 60 but well worth it. I ordered a Finish Line Transmission 4L80 Exteme Level 5 and have never had a problem since. Expensive but worth it (to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    The 4L60E transmission is just a part of your Powertrain. It is matched to the engine and drive train. Changing it to something else will cause problems and trouble codes. You could change it to a manual trans and change everything including the computer but that would be very expensive and foolish IMO.

Incorrect. When done properly there are no issues or codes.

Quote Originally Posted by TYMBOM View Post
    We're all listening. Please enlighten us. Which trans will swap out without any issues? Curious minds want to know.

If you read three posts up you would see.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TYMBOM View Post

you can build your 4l60e with servos and billets and other stuff to be just as good, i know a couple of guys that are supercharged and putting alot of power down with there built 60es

4l80e is just as much trouble as putting a different kind of tranny like Jimmie pointed out... Its expensive.

there is more to putting a 80e than what you mentioned.

Jimmie > you.
    Last edited by 2ToNe04; 10-29-2009 at 02:26 PM.

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

Quote Originally Posted by 2ToNe04 View Post
    you can build your 4l60e with servos and billets and other stuff to be just as good, i know a couple of guys that are supercharged and putting alot of power down with there built 60es

4l80e is just as much trouble as putting a different kind of tranny like Jimmie pointed out... Its expensive.

there is more to putting a 80e than what you mentioned.

Jimmie > you.
    Lol. The guy was asking a question about "different transmissions". I'm the only one that answered his question, and in doing so, I also pointed out that it was expensive. Also, "expensive" is relative. Of course there is more to than what I mentioned, I'd didn't offer a step by step. I offered a suggestion.

As far as "knowing a couple of guys", we all know of people, I'm talking first hand.

Way to jump in and try to "save" Jimmy, lol.
    Last edited by TYMBOM; 10-29-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by