GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: 4l60e swap?

Quote Originally Posted by TYMBOM View Post
    All that needs to be done is the wiring change and a new tune and obviously the driveshafts. It does need a custom tune file but not a new computer. I agree that with the stock computer "AND STOCK PROGRAMMING", you'd have issues. I think this is where our communication broke down, you do not need a new computer, you can do it with the stock ECU you just need a new program on your exisiting one. That is much cheaper than a new computer obviously. Anyone with EFILive for example can do this change. Hopefully this clears this up and we can be friends now
    I just looked at the PCM wiring diagrams for both trucks. Rather than continue this argument I think we will just have to agree to disagree and leave it at that. Of course we can be friends because we have no enemies here on this forum.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Blog Entries

you also have to modify the tranny X member for the 80e

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

Jimmiee, could a PCM that was designed for a small-block chevy and 4L60E be flashed to run a small-block chevy and 4L80E? It seems that that motor/tranny combo had to somehow be possible considering most 1-ton duallys of the 90s bodystyle should have shipped in that combo? I don't know if the PCMs are physically the same with a different flash or not? I don't know enough about PCMs.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Jimmiee, could a PCM that was designed for a small-block chevy and 4L60E be flashed to run a small-block chevy and 4L80E? It seems that that motor/tranny combo had to somehow be possible considering most 1-ton duallys of the 90s bodystyle should have shipped in that combo? I don't know if the PCMs are physically the same with a different flash or not? I don't know enough about PCMs.
    I assure you that I am not trying to rock any boats here but yes!!!!! That is what is done to mine. Stock ECU reprogrammed and all is good. I don't pretend to be able to tell you the behind the scenes workings, I can just tell you that it works, and works perfectly. I don't gain anything by trying to mislead anyone here, I'm only trying to help the guy who asked. I hate pissing contests and can just speak first hand. It works perfectly with my stock computer, period.

I didn't think it was possible but browsing through some other forums last night it looks like it has been before. TYMBOM says he has one in his truck so maybe he can tell us how its done and post up some pictures and links so we can all understand how this works. I wonder if Jenna Bear could chime in and tell us what needs to be done to make the conversion?

TYMBOM, We all would like to learn from your conversion. Do you know who reprogrammed your PCM? Did you do the work on your truck or did someone else do it? What kind of harness was used to make the conversion? Do you have any pictures of the conversion? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    TYMBOM, We all would like to learn from your conversion. Do you know who reprogrammed your PCM? Did you do the work on your truck or did someone else do it? What kind of harness was used to make the conversion? Do you have any pictures of the conversion? Thanks!
    I had all my work done by a performance shop. That being said, a friend of my just finshed doing his own conversion in his garage. This is what he remembers about what had to be done.

Shortened rear drive shaft
    Longer front driveshaft
    different flywheel and spacer
    The wire harness/jumper to make it work with stock ECU ******
    Different cross member
    Different inspection cover
    Different mounting bolts and tailshaft if it was a half ton
    A new program in the stock ECU to make it all work great

Here is a link to a site that offers the conversion kit, all that's need after that is a program
    http://transmissioncenter.net/4l60e_to_4l80e_swap.htm

Anyone with tuning software can do the tune if they know what they are doing. The EFI Live programmer is supposed to be an easy one to do it on and my friend got his programmed from this company.
    http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/

See, no need to hate or for drama 2tone04, I'm not crazy

Looking at that site you linked to, all I see are conversions for LS1 motors to get 4L80E trans put behind them. You have a LS1 motor in your truck? I'm just curious if the computers beween LS1 and normal motors are the same. Neat conversion, especially with the conversion harness seeming so simple.

Looking at that site you linked to, all I see are conversions for LS1 motors to get 4L80E trans put behind them. You have a LS1 motor in your truck? I'm just curious if the computers beween LS1 and normal motors are the same. Neat conversion, especially with the conversion harness seeming so simple.

Correct but it is still the same stock ECU from my original 5.3L.

Quote Originally Posted by TYMBOM View Post
    Correct but it is still the same stock ECU from my original 5.3L.

I just spent some time reading up on the swap over at HP Tuners. The way it works is the first thing you have to do is get your PCM programmed to a 4L80E with a Tech II scanner. Once you have done that you send them the bin file and they redo it for you. This is what changes the shift stratigy and solenoid firing orders. Then you have to get a 4L80 harness and rewire the PCM as like I mentioned in an earlier post all the wires are different from a 60 to an 80. Good reading HERE