GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2005 Tahoe - "Rear Access Open"

Hey all, nice place you got here and sorry for the first post of mine being a question but this is driving me nuts.

We just recently bought a 2005 Tahoe and about 4 weeks after getting it the interior lights started staying on while driving. We can turn them off but it keeps showing on the DIC that the "REAR ACCESS OPEN". I am assuming it is referring to back door (gate or window). I have tried several things but it will not go off.

Any idea where the switches are at back there? I looked but no luck. Was going to try and clean them. Of course the rear wiper will not work either but assuming that is because it thinks something is open?

Thoughts? Suggestions? anyone.... PLEASE help....lol

Sr. Apprentice

my 04 does the same thing, i know it is not the right answer, but i just shut it a little harder. if you find anything less annoying though...let me know thanks

I don't have a new model, so how is power sent to rear hatch? Do you have a switch in the gate/window frame? Or is there an electric pin/pad at the top of the frame near the hinges?

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the site! It's hard to say, but you may have a bad switch. Hope you find a answer soon. Good Luck.
    Eddie , 2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (old style)

After lots of searching I still don' thave an answer. I found a couple other guys who had same problem though. One was able to correct it by disconnecting battery for a few minutes. I tried that last night and no luck.

I have been told it is the BCM ( Body Control Module) so it will go to the shop next I guess?

Well finally gave up and took into shop today. They informed me that it needs a new "Rear wiper control module"??? $425.00 parts and labor. I decided to look this up on the net and I can find them for all years up to 2000 but nothing newer.

Anyonw have access to Alldata.com that could look up a part number for me? It is located inside the rear door.

Default Rear access open

I have an 03 YUKON with same problem. All tests on tail gate came out good. I have got two answers for what is causing BCM to think a rear door is open. First was drivers side door lock soleniod. Second From GM mechanic - Body control module going bad. I have not fixed it - aka become a parts changer yet. I am waiting to hear from more than on source that it is the BCM.

Have you ever checked out autozone.com and looked under the "Repair Info" tab? Lots of good stuff there, like component locations, part numbers, etc.
    The Cheap-*ss Modder & Thread Killer
    The Realist says, "The glass is too big".

2013 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z60 4WD Crew Cab
    Mineral Green Metallic w/ Tan Leather Interior
    5.3 L FLEX w/AFM, 6A, Cheap-*ss Mods
    32 Dump Club Member
    Range V8 AFM Eliminator

Default Hi

Here is something to think about... I have an 04 tahoe and my passenger door went completely electrically dead. I couldn't roll up my windows, unlock the doors, or move the mirrors. So here is what I did, I pulled the door panel and come to find out the connection for the door locks was loose. Upon installing the connector correctly everything was fine. So I would recommend pulling the trim off and take a look at your connections

Question Rear Access Open - 2003 GMC Yukon

Same issues with my 2003 GMC Yukon... Rear Access Open comes on, goes off... bell sounds while driving. Mostly on. I was able to keep the lights from coming on by using the light control switch/button lower left of the steering wheel. This also causes a problem when using the security system... If the system is engaged, and the car thinks the back door is open, the alarm goes off. I get around this by disengaging the security system and locking the car manually. Loc kthe car using the remote, security on, press unlock once, driver side door unlocked, open and lock manually. Lastly, the rear wiper has stopped working. Assume this is because it believes the door and or rear window is open.

Would love to find a solution, to address once and for all. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast