GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Kinds of Gas

Default Kinds of Gas

Ok, so i was made fun of last night because even though87 gas is 2.89 and 92 is 3.05, I have been putting in 92 gas lately. No I have not really noticed a change, but everyone knows I did a bunch of stuff to my TB, mine isn't stock. I guess what I want to know is.....am I the only dork who puts 92 in their TB and everyone else puts 87. I am just wondering. also, if you p ut 92 do you notice a difference.
    STEPHANIE
    Los Angeles, California
    2004 Trailblazer (DJM drop kit, K&N air intake, 18' Kaotic Wheels, full system with Sirius and also custom
    sub installed for cleaner look, tint all the way around, JBA exhaust...still looking for more to do)

Had until it was stolen:
    1990 lowered Chevy Silverado
    Also Have:
    2002 Chevy Suburban
    1992 Chevy S-10
    1955 Chevy Bel Air
    sad to say: also a 1991 Ford F-250

Default Kinds of Gas

the only thing 92 is for is if you have a high compression engine. Try using 87 and if your truck starts knocking and running sluggishly then try the 89 to see if it's enough to stop it. If that doesn't work go back to 92.

Jr. Apprentice

Yeah, what hawkce said, dont run higher than needed octane gas, it will only cost you more and with the compression ratio of the TB I6 engine, it could result in a piston carbon deposit over time. Unless you have a Westers tune or a Jet Chip that requires 89+ octane, you are probably better off running 87 or whatever lowest it takes to not have any knocking.
    ~Erik~
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4WD Summit White/Lt. Oak
    Epic Performance (me) custom tuned w/EFILive FlashScan V2, K&N FIPK2 CAI, Magnaflow Dual Catback
    Eibach 1.5/2, Bilstein HDs, Hotchkiss rear swaybar + poly bushings all around, Dueler A/T Revos
    6000K Low/fog HID + Quad Beams mod, The NorthFace Edition clearance lights, mirror turns+running light mod
    Infinity Kappa 104.7w + JBL CS300.1 + Q-Logic form-fitted box
    Redline Tuning hood lift struts, debaged/demolded
    Lots more...:lol:

I run 89 octane, why chance knock for a few cents. I run a developement dynamometer for a living, so I know what 87 octane can do, and not do.