GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default I've got trouble - Transmission?

VERY strange issue today (2000 GMC Sierra 4x4)

I backed out of the driveway and all was good.

I put it into Drive and at that point my tack, speedometer, and the gear indicator lights on the dash all died.

I turned the truck off then on again and they came back. However as I started driving I found that the engine would rev but I would not get the same corresponding moving power. It was like a slipping clutch on a standard (this is automatic). I thought oh no..transmission is shot. I had to get to town and I live a few miles out. The acceleration was not right. On the highway my rpms were higher than they ought to be. I shifted from overdrive to 3rd but the truck did not change. So I assumed I was not on O/D.

When I got to town I tried a couple things. I found that if I shifted into 2nd I would immediately lose my tach/speedometer and indicator lights again. Turn truck off / on and they come back.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is related? I just got the truck...prev owner never mentioned any issues. I drove it a bunch and the tranny had seemed very smooth.

It is scheduled to go into the shop tonight for ball joints and a couple other things. I'd like to give the wrench some ideas as he is an independant and may not be familiar with the truck.

So I have been googling like crazy. Found other GM Truck owners talk about a similar situation. They say they lose 1st gear and OD .. which could be what happened to me. I know 1st was "off" and there was no OD.

They all seemed to say they needed a new Ignition Switch? Not sure how that is related...

thoughts?

Yes indeed. The ignition switch causes a voltage drop at the transmission solenoids which causes the transmission to go into failsafe mode. The dimming dash lights and tach problems are another indication of a bad switch. You will have transmission trouble codes but the reason is the switch.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    Yes indeed. The ignition switch causes a voltage drop at the transmission solenoids which causes the transmission to go into failsafe mode. The dimming dash lights and tach problems are another indication of a bad switch. You will have transmission trouble codes but the reason is the switch.

Thanks for the info!!

Just had the same issues with my '95.It set codes for the 3-4 shift solenoids (4l80E trans) and locked the trans into failsafe. Yep- ignition switch.

Mechanic said the wiring harness was clearly shot and is ordering a new one. Hopefully (and I would assume) this was the only issue...and there isn't also some solonoid crap goin on...

Good deal. Keep us posted when you get it fixed.