GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: 2 questions

Default 2 questions

So this new truck I have is a 2004 2500HD and it HAD a plow on it. The guy said he tightened down on the torsion bars to allow for the greater weight. Now theres no plow and Id like to return the truck to stock. Any ideas? How much would this cost if I took it to the dealer?

You can do this yourself in a matter of 10 minutes. Just jack the front of the truck up (place the jack anywhere except on the arms, the point of rasing the front is to take a lot of the load off the torsion bars), and loosen the torsion key bolts the desired amount (from what I have been told, 1/4 turn of the bolt equals 1/2" of lift/lowering), so maybe roughly 3/4 or 1 full turn, depending on how much the guy you bought it from cranked on 'em.

I've never owned a truck with torsion bars on it (althought that could change today or tomorrow!), but this is what I have learned/been told on this site and from people I know. So, in other words, you might want to get more than just my input on this.
    Current truck: 1996 Ford 250, 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. Dana 60 SAS, stage 1 160cc injectors, T500 High Pressure Oil Pump, TS 6-position chip, full 4" exhaust, intake, 285 Falken Rocky Mountain AT's, boost/EGT/trans temp pillar gauges, etc...

Hey thanks for the information! Any idea how to turn the truck back to stock from an unknown torsion location?

No problem! And that I couldn't help ya with that. Like I said, never owned a truck with torsion bars. But there is plenty of folks on here that have put leveling kits and whatnot on their trucks that might be able to help you figure out where you need to be at with those keys!
    Current truck: 1996 Ford 250, 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. Dana 60 SAS, stage 1 160cc injectors, T500 High Pressure Oil Pump, TS 6-position chip, full 4" exhaust, intake, 285 Falken Rocky Mountain AT's, boost/EGT/trans temp pillar gauges, etc...

Default torsion relocation

post a side view picture of your truck, the front end of the truck should sit sligtley lower than the rear end. If he just turned the torsion bars up and it is sitting level( I woud leave it level, it looks better). With the torsion bars level, it dosn't hurt anything, just increases the travel.
    2003 CHEVY SILVERADO
    3" LEVELING KIT
    285/75/16 DURATAC'S
    MBRP STAINLESS DUAL'S

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyFarmKid View Post
    post a side view picture of your truck, the front end of the truck should sit sligtley lower than the rear end. If he just turned the torsion bars up and it is sitting level( I woud leave it level, it looks better). With the torsion bars level, it dosn't hurt anything, just increases the travel.

You dont think theres any added wear on any of the front end components do ya? Im just nervous that now the tie rods/ball joints/cv joints will wear quicker. What do you think?