GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Mechanic

Default Anyone Order RECON third brake light before?

I just recently bought a RECON 3rd brake light from a seller on ebay for $50. I am not too happy with it at all, first off, the wiring diagram isn't such a breeze and I had to cut my factory wires to get a super dim cargo light and blew a fuse hooking up the third brake light. any suggestions?

Jr. Mechanic

Turns out the cargo lights for the LED's aren't anything near as bright. They resemble a shake for light flashlight lumens. They aren't bright at all... barely noticeable. But the brake lights are. I would not recommend buying this 3rd taillight at all

Legend
    Blog Entries

Wow that is kind of surprising for Recon, I have a sneaking suspicion that the seller lied about it being a Recon brake light. Maybe they just put a set of instructions from a Recon light in with a generic light and pawned it off as that, was it brand new for $50 or was it used? All of there stuff is plug and play also, which is why the hard wiring part doesn't make sense. Would love to see some pictures of exactly how dull it is, I can't compare it to mine because mine was crazy bright fro IPCW. Are you going to take it back off the truck now that the wires are spliced?
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    Wow that is kind of surprising for Recon, I have a sneaking suspicion that the seller lied about it being a Recon brake light. Maybe they just put a set of instructions from a Recon light in with a generic light and pawned it off as that, was it brand new for $50 or was it used? All of there stuff is plug and play also, which is why the hard wiring part doesn't make sense. Would love to see some pictures of exactly how dull it is, I can't compare it to mine because mine was crazy bright fro IPCW. Are you going to take it back off the truck now that the wires are spliced?

x2 on that..ive got one on my silverado and my dodge..it was just plug it up and youre done..im happy with both of mine
    -Dylan
    2004 Silverado 4x4
    4.8L
    1986 K5 Blazer
    8" Superlift w/39.5 super swampers
    1992 GMC Jimmy "Blue Bomber"
    4.3L Vortec

Jr. Mechanic

It came in a Recon box and everything, this thing was far from plug and play... That is what I was expecting too... This was a new item also, I think I am going to fight it through ebay to get the money back... But stuff like this really irritates me for real... and the person I bought it from is out of florida too... I wonder how I could find them

I might take it off of my truck, it depends if I find another one that is plug and play and I will hook up the plug again if I can find it, if I can't I'll just go up to my dealership and ask them if hey can order one. Unless you all know of a company that could sell me one for cheaper...
    Last edited by b_burdine; 11-05-2009 at 12:09 AM.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Are you talking about going to the dealer for the plug you cut off, if so they sell all that stuff at Summit Racing under the name brand Pico aka Delphi Packard. The only catch is you need a set of specialty crimpers to put the terminals on, they are like $80 but well worth it if you do a lot of wiring on the newer vehicles.

What year is your truck?

Master Mechanic

yea that doesnt seem right to me..found this on RECONs website

"All RECON LED 3rd Brake Lights are Direct Plug-N-Play Replacements. No tools other than a screwdriver are required. Installation can be completed in less than 60 seconds!!!!"
    http://www.gorecon.com/products.php?p_cat=34

heres where i ordered mine from
    www.streetbeatcustoms.com i think i paid 85 for mine

Jr. Mechanic

I just got the sellers phone number and I am going to call first thing in the morning... Do you all think that I can fight this to get my money back? Not to mention splicing my wires on my truck... I should have known better. Don't you hate it when you just don't think sometimes?

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have never bought anything off of E-bay before, but I would think that if it's not what they advertised then you should be able to get your money back. In all seriousness I thin that someone switched the packaging out, and that's a shame because the real Recon products are top notch. That link that RedneckarmyMP put up is a reliable site, I bought my projector headlights and my LED tail lights from them and they were very good at everything. Shipping was a little slow but other than that they were awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by b_burdine View Post
    I just got the sellers phone number and I am going to call first thing in the morning... Do you all think that I can fight this to get my money back? Not to mention splicing my wires on my truck... I should have known better. Don't you hate it when you just don't think sometimes?
    Did the seller say in the auction All Sales Final or No Returns? I know some sellers put that and other do take returns but charge for a restocking fee. Let me know how it goes.
    Peter

2007 Silverado LT Crew NNBS 5.3
    Stock 20"
    Black Powdercoated Billet Gas Door
    LineX Bedliner
    Go Rhino Dom II Bars
    Work in Progress
    1952 Chrysler 2dr Windsor } Mine and Dad's
    1966 Ford Mustang

Former Cars
    2000 civic hx Moded
    1993 Probe simi moded