GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Review: Windows 7 Is Vast Improvement Over Vista

NEW YORK Microsoft Windows 7 is a slick, much improved operating system that should go a long way toward erasing the bad impression left by its previous effort, Vista.

If you've been holding off on buying a new computer, Microsoft Windows 7 will be a good excuse to get back into the game. And if you've been weighing a Mac versus a Windows PC, then you should know that "7" pushes the scales on the Windows side. Windows is now easier to use and better looking than it was before, while maintaining its core advantage of cheaper, more diverse hardware.

However, most PC users should not take the release of Windows 7 as a call to action, or feel that they have to run out and buy the software for use on a computer they're planning on keeping. The upgrade will most likely not be worth the time or money, much less the effort of hosting a Windows 7 "launch party" as Microsoft suggests.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...est=latestnews

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Not rushing out to buy the upgrade. Just bought a new laptop and desktop this year with....yes......Vista! Yeech!
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Glad to hear it's getting good reviews. I never figured out why everyone hated Vista so much. I've been using it for a couple years and I haven't had any issues with it. Oh well, to each his own I guess.
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Everyone's problem with Vista is probably stemming from their set up. Vista really requires a minimum of 2 processor to work correctly, but it can be used with just one. My desktop has Vista, but it also has quad processors, so I've never a problem with it. Steve, I can get Windows 7 for free since I'm a student. Would you recommend replacing Vista on my fiancee's computer(my old laptop that has a single processor and Vista)?
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    Not rushing out to buy the upgrade. Just bought a new laptop and desktop this year with....yes......Vista! Yeech!
    Depending on when you purchased your laptop this year, you may be eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 7.

I would reccomend that any computer that was shipped with vista to be upgraded to 7. Some machines that ran Windows XP can also be upgraded to Win7 with good results.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend
    Blog Entries

I think I am going to buy Windows 7 for my Mac, I play a lot of games and I miss not being able to get them for Mac. I guess that's why I like the Mac because of BootCamp, you can install it in a second running platform and still have all of your other stuff seperate. I just don't know if I trust myself enough to do it.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

I've been running Windows 7 beta for a few months now. Even the beta version is a drastic improvement over Vista. That said, I'm sure there will be initial issues. Always better to wait for SP1 despite what Microsoft says.