GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Help!!!!

Default Help!!!!

I just got through changing out the fuel pump on my 99 tahoe and I did the repair while i was under the Fog of H1N1 and i could swear i remember bringing in a blue O ring to wash off that went between the metal retaining ring and the pump on top of the gas tank but for the life of me i cannot find that ring now to save my life and the pump was harder than hell to put back in just with the metal ring and the fact that i had to compress the springs on the pump to get it installed in the tank properly

i had to severly contort myself over the rear axel to get the pump changed out to the point that every muscle in my chest ached for days and kept getting muscle spazms galore the whole time i was down and out with the Flu. Did I just dream the blue rubber o ring or is there really supposed to be one there ? after changing out the pump i went to the gas station and filled the truck up and about 3 gallons leaked out onto the ground from the top of the tank so something isn't right.

I got one of those Aero tech replacement pumps because i didn't have the $500.00 + to buy the GM replacement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Jim Himes
    Portland TN

Default found the answer at Oreilly's

found out that the O ring and the metal locking plate is supposed to be a made together part thankfully the replacement is only $6.99 the bad part is that this means dropping the tank and draining a full tank of gas out all over again in order to put the new part on again. fun fun fun .....

at least i did get my answer though

Default 1999 Tahoe / Suburban fuel pump and sender

Yes, should be part #3. There were two diameters listed. 86.5mm and 92.5mm.
    The one pictured on the left is for gas and the other is for the diesel.

Sorry to hear the flu bug got you. Just got the wife the H1N1 vaccination yesterday. I didn't get one cuz I'm not in one of the higher risk categories.

There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

yes it looks like part #3 but where it's showing that it goes is not where it actually goes according to what i was told earlier it's a rubber o ring that is molded into the lock ring that holds the pump in from the top of the tank. It's all made together as one piece. the part that actually goes over the pump from the bottom is a thick black sleve that has a seal on the top of it and also a big thick band that helps seal around the opening at the top of the tank. that sleeve and the Oring that is made into the lock ring work together to add a lot of pressure to help seal the tank from leakage my tank is either leaking around that ring or the only other place might be around the electrical fitting that snaps in the top of the pump.

The replacement pump had a different connector that i didn't feel comfortable using because it would have meant cutting off the factory plug and splicing in a new one, so i changed the plug out from the factory pump, modified the internal plug so that the OEM plug and the internal one would snap together properly and not come lose again and put the included o ring on it also before i get started replacing the O ring on the top of the tank i am going to put bottom pressure on the tank and use a flex mirror and see if i can see what part is actually leaking. if it turns out to be that plug then i'll have to get some kind of fuel resistant sealer to put on the electrical outlet since the o ring i put on it may not be doing the proper job.

I have a plan now just contorting around under my truck again is something i am really not looking forward to at all. this is deffinately a job that you only want to have to do once in a life time.

Also that pump in the picture with the sensor that plugs in the top is for the 2 dr 4 wd version of the tahoe mine has that sensor on the back of the tank and my truck is the 4 dr 2wd version I do appreciate the help still though, thanks
    Last edited by daddytech; 11-02-2009 at 01:12 AM.