GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    60

    Default Sound system set up/ install question

    Hey, I have a kenwood receiver, 12'' sub, 1100 watt amp, Some after market front speakers and stock rear speakers, a shop installed all these last year. Everything runs off the same amp. Two weeks ago my amp shorted out and now I have no sound at all. Last Friday my truck wouldn't start and I had to jump start it, after a 20 min drive I noticed the volt meter keep moving from 14 volts to 10 or lower only when I was stopping at stop lights. I took it to my mechanic and was told that my alternator was crapping out on me, $280 later after he was done installing the new part the truck was completly dead, that's when he mention if I had some other issues with the truck and I mention the amp thing, he removed the fuse for the amp that comes from the engine to the cabin. After a jump start the readings were ok!!!!!! The amp cause a short and that was the reason for not starting. I want to reinstall my sound system but was wondering if the amp will in effect damage the alterntor??? Some one told me to get a device that looks like a giant pill to prevent this from happening. I want to run my sub with a 1100 amp and speakers with a diff amp, probably a 300 watt or lower. Can any one help me!????
    2000 Chevy Silverado 2WD, single cab, 6 lug, 4.8L V8, Flowmaster, K&N GEN 2 FIPK, Black American Eagle Wheels #186 on 33s BFGoodrich All Terrains, cobra CB radio, Kenwood 1000 watt sound system, optima battery red top.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaser1 View Post
    Hey, I have a kenwood receiver, 12'' sub, 1100 watt amp, Some after market front speakers and stock rear speakers, a shop installed all these last year. Everything runs off the same amp. Two weeks ago my amp shorted out and now I have no sound at all. Last Friday my truck wouldn't start and I had to jump start it, after a 20 min drive I noticed the volt meter keep moving from 14 volts to 10 or lower only when I was stopping at stop lights. I took it to my mechanic and was told that my alternator was crapping out on me, $280 later after he was done installing the new part the truck was completly dead, that's when he mention if I had some other issues with the truck and I mention the amp thing, he removed the fuse for the amp that comes from the engine to the cabin. After a jump start the readings were ok!!!!!! The amp cause a short and that was the reason for not starting. I want to reinstall my sound system but was wondering if the amp will in effect damage the alterntor??? Some one told me to get a device that looks like a giant pill to prevent this from happening. I want to run my sub with a 1100 amp and speakers with a diff amp, probably a 300 watt or lower. Can any one help me!????
    Did you leave the bad amp in? If so, then it was draining your battery and putting a strain on your alternator.

    The 'giant pill' may be a capacitor that will help, a little. You should have no problem just installing the amp, but MAKE SURE YOU RUN AT LEAST A 4 GAUGE WIRE FROM THE BATTERY DIRECTLY TO THE AMP, and FUSE IT AT THE BATTERY END.
    Padre (Chip)
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace -- Jimi Hendrix

    2009 Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab, long bed, Blue Granite

  3. #3
    Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tunkhannock, PA (North East)
    Posts
    809

    Default

    So, you're saying your amp got fried and you didn't take the fuse out of the power cable...? That was your first mistake... And as far as needing a Cap, not really... IF you get a good battery and a good alternator, you'll be fine... The battery is only there to get the vehicle started and for sudden voltage drops... When your car is running, the alt does the majority of the work...

    Here's my suggestions...
    Big 3 upgrade
    Optima yellow-top or similar battery
    H/O Alternator upgrade, 180 amps or larger...

    After that you should be golden...

    Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

    2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

    Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

    Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

  4. #4
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Rookie mistake?!?! Padre,The entire thing is out now. Do you think I'll be fine running two amps?? I want get one for the speakers and a 1100watt for the sub. Do you know how big can I go as far as a sub amp?? I have a optima red top installed
    Last edited by Chaser1; 11-04-2009 at 09:03 PM.
    2000 Chevy Silverado 2WD, single cab, 6 lug, 4.8L V8, Flowmaster, K&N GEN 2 FIPK, Black American Eagle Wheels #186 on 33s BFGoodrich All Terrains, cobra CB radio, Kenwood 1000 watt sound system, optima battery red top.

  5. #5
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    60

    Default

    I have a optima red top right now and the rebuilt alternator that I got from autozone is pretty much stock nothing fancy. Like I mention before, what do u think Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder, am I ok running two amps? A small one for the speakers and a 1100 watt for the sub??
    2000 Chevy Silverado 2WD, single cab, 6 lug, 4.8L V8, Flowmaster, K&N GEN 2 FIPK, Black American Eagle Wheels #186 on 33s BFGoodrich All Terrains, cobra CB radio, Kenwood 1000 watt sound system, optima battery red top.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaser1 View Post
    I have a optima red top right now and the rebuilt alternator that I got from autozone is pretty much stock nothing fancy. Like I mention before, what do u think Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder, am I ok running two amps? A small one for the speakers and a 1100 watt for the sub??
    The red top and alternator should be fine. Running two amps isn't necessary if you get a 5 channel amp you can run the speakers and the sub off of it. Running a separate amp is unnecessary in my opinion. I have a Kenwood 9140 running off a 5 channel amp and it works fantastic.

    Again, in my opinion, spending your money on a higher quality 5 channel will, in the end, make for a better system and an easier system to install.
    Padre (Chip)
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace -- Jimi Hendrix

    2009 Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab, long bed, Blue Granite

  7. #7
    Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tunkhannock, PA (North East)
    Posts
    809

    Default

    You should be fine as long as everything is hooked up propper (fused, good ground, away from moving parts)... But if you see and kind of dimming when you bass hits, I'd do the Big 3 Upgrade... That usually helps a lot and its fairly easy and cheap to do...

    Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

    2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

    Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

    Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaser1 View Post
    Rookie mistake?!?! Padre,The entire thing is out now. Do you think I'll be fine running two amps?? I want get one for the speakers and a 1100watt for the sub. Do you know how big can I go as far as a sub amp?? I have a optima red top installed
    The size of the sub amp depends more on the speaker(s) you have in the sub. You can get a loud thumping noise out of the speakers with a 400w amp if you want.

    To me, it is more important to get quality rather than loudness. A 5 channel, 1200w amp should be more than enough to blow out your windows and eardrums.

    All the major manufacturers make them, Alpine, Boss, JL Audio, Phoenix, DLS. They all make good amplifiers.

    Also, use good wiring!!
    Padre (Chip)
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace -- Jimi Hendrix

    2009 Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab, long bed, Blue Granite

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TritonBoulder47 View Post
    You should be fine as long as everything is hooked up propper (fused, good ground, away from moving parts)... But if you see and kind of dimming when you bass hits, I'd do the Big 3 Upgrade... That usually helps a lot and its fairly easy and cheap to do...
    What gauge wire do you use for your Big 3? I've been using the very flexible welding wire in 2ga and 4ga. I read that some are going to 1/0, 2/0. What's your opinion?
    Padre (Chip)
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace -- Jimi Hendrix

    2009 Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab, long bed, Blue Granite

  10. #10
    Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tunkhannock, PA (North East)
    Posts
    809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Padre View Post
    What gauge wire do you use for your Big 3? I've been using the very flexible welding wire in 2ga and 4ga. I read that some are going to 1/0, 2/0. What's your opinion?
    Atleast 1/0...

    Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

    2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

    Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

    Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. bose sound system?
    By suburban2500 in forum Audio, Video & Gadget Tech
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2009, 07:48 PM
  2. Ticking sound from AC system.
    By jbeall in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2009, 04:31 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2008, 10:46 PM
  4. Replace sound system
    By Bowrider20 in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2007, 08:07 AM
  5. Sound System Help!!!!!
    By abm361 in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 09:39 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •