GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

View Poll Results: What's your opinion of the Silverado ZR2 concept?

Voters
341. You may not vote on this poll
  • Awesome, beats the Ford Raptor hands-down.

261 76.54%
  • It's nice, but only about the same as the Ford Raptor.

62 18.18%
  • It's a dud, I'd take the Ford Raptor anyday.

18 5.28%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by eallanboggs View Post
    the gm ls series powerplant is so superior to anything ford has to offer this conversation isn't worth having. Even with multi-overhead cams and 3 valves per cylinder ford can't compete with the cam in block, pushrod, 2 valves per cylinder old school technology of the ls series. Ask yourself why this is true since it doesn't seem to make logical sense. It's in the flow numbers of the heads. Even with more cams and more valves the ford heads can't flow like the ls heads. Gm didn't have to step up to the 6.2 liter to beat the 410hp of the ford. They could have easily beat that 410hp with a 6 liter with some cnced heads and a bigger cam. I work on a lot of cars and trucks and a large percentage are ford v8s. That's another thing ford has going against it. The reliability of the ford v8s isn't there when compared to the gm ls series v8s.
    puh lease.............
    1999 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 2.5 4 cyl 130,xxx miles
    2003 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0 HUGE V8 195, xxx

Thumbs down nNew concept ZR2 at first glance is screaming out to me TOO MUCH PLASTIC IN GRILL

I love my 2004 Silverado 2500 4x4 crew cab .This new concept needs some chrome in the grill.I like the additional horsepower .
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Silverado ZR2 Concept
    GM reveals new Silverado ZR2 concept truck at SERM 2009

It was just a year ago - SEMA 2008 to be exact - that Ford grabbed the headlines with their off-road warrior, the Raptor, and rightfully so to be honest. GM was in no position to compete with that vehicle at that time, but they did in fact respond in a year's time with a equally-impressive Silverado ZR2. What a difference a year makes.

Chevy Silverado ZR2 Concept - Shown at SEMA 2009

Powerplant? 550 HP LSA baby!
    It would not have been enough to just tweak the existing Silverado to offer a capable response to the Raptor, some serious upgrades are in order, while still keeping the overall visible Silverado appearance. The powerplant is a 6.2L supercharged LSA v8 cranking out 550 HP. This is the same engine found in the Cadillac CTS-V and it's matched up with the six speed auto transmission. It is very impressive and out-performs the 410 HP cranked out by the Raptor, although raw-power isn't everything, it is a LOT.

Suspension & Appearance
    The suspension and off-road ride was adressed with a 4-inch lift and 20-inch wheels / 35-inch Goodyear Wrangler tires. Carbon-fiber is all over the Silverado ZR2. The grille, fender flares, hood, tailgate, rocker panels and more are all carbon fiber. Overall, the design of the Silverado provides clues to the next generation re-design of the Silverado itself. This appears to be a boxier front-end with more elongated and bolder features. The carbon-fiber is not likely to see production simply for cost reasons, however anything is possible and technology makes production cheaper all the time.

Overall?
    While the Silverado ZR2 may only be a concept vehicle, many of the components inside it are available today - the LSA engine for example. Having multiple outlets for this technology will help to make it cheaper overall. An indepth comparison shows that the Silverado ZR2 is not exactly the same type of vehicle as the Ford Raptor, and that's ok, two different vehicles trying to provide off-road enthusiasts with the desired effect. We sure hope to see this put into the real-world sometime soon though.

Ford Raptor - Shown at Dallas Auto Show 2009

Legend
    Blog Entries

That is one good looking truck!!! Something about that BIG BOWTIE!!!
    Eddie , 2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (old style)

Guaranteed that thing doesnt have 12 inches of travel in the front or 14 in the rear like the raptor it probably rides like a brick box like all the chevy trucks do... it gets the 5.4 stock with 320 hp but everybody knows its nothin to make 500 plus hp out of them.. the 6.2 with 500 hp (estimated) hell slap a supercharger on any one of the ford motors and you got somethin chevy will never have... another fact supercharged cobra 550 to the wheels while the z06 505 to the crank musle mustang has tested chevy on all their so called hp ratings and none are to the wheels its all at the crank so the zr2 i give 2 thumbs down 4 times plus 2 cause it wont do anything but suck

1999 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 2.5 4 cyl 130,xxx miles
    2003 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0 HUGE V8 195, xxx

Legend
    Blog Entries

Honestly I think it is a dud, I bet the price tag will be higher than a Denali truck. I would bet this truck will list starting at $60,000, and that's conservative on my part. It makes me laugh how many people on here want one, but every week some one wants to know how to get better MPG's out of a gas hog. Trucks are trucks dammit, if you want gas mileage buy a car. Sorry for the rant but it's true, you would be lucky if that truck gets 10mpg going down hill.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

I like the look & color, HP numbers sound good but can the drive train handle it. Chevy has a very week independent suspension for there trucks I hope they did a better job on this truck with out adding to much weight. Get rid of the stupid carbon fiber, doesnt belong on truck. Get rid of the 20" wheels & put on 17" or 18". Keep it simple on the inside, its for offroad but offer aftermarket stuff through Chevy.
    Chevy should make a 2 wheel version & 4x4 version.
    Everyday I wake up is a great day! ;-)
    05' Chevy Suburban, 11' Ford Fiesta

Looks like a knee-jerk reaction to the Raptor. SVT actually put some time in to creating something unique chassis-wise, but GM looks like it went to Superlift and said, "I'll take a 4" lift and some blingy wheels."

There's nothing I see in the ZR2 that warrants a special price tag, especially since I see that same truck at least 20 times every day on the road in Dallas. Every dude in town with a few bucks to spare lifts his truck. What's special?

Horsepower alone will not make the ZR2 awesome when side by side with a Raptor.

Jr. Apprentice

Am I the only one who doesn't like that front end? The powertrain is cool and all, but it looks like dog meat if you ask me. I'll take the raptor please.

Quote Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
    Guaranteed that thing doesnt have 12 inches of travel in the front or 14 in the rear like the raptor it probably rides like a brick box like all the chevy trucks do... it gets the 5.4 stock with 320 hp but everybody knows its nothin to make 500 plus hp out of them.. the 6.2 with 500 hp (estimated) hell slap a supercharger on any one of the ford motors and you got somethin chevy will never have... another fact supercharged cobra 550 to the wheels while the z06 505 to the crank musle mustang has tested chevy on all their so called hp ratings and none are to the wheels its all at the crank so the zr2 i give 2 thumbs down 4 times plus 2 cause it wont do anything but suck
    Well, if you're the big ford fan that you're coming off as, why are you on a GM site? All three or four posts I've seen from you are talking about how Ford's Raptor is superior to Chevy's ZR2. I see you have a 2500 HD from your signature, but that doesn't mean you can com here and rag on Chevy. Sorry if I'm coming off as a dick, it just bugs me when people do that.

And I have to agree with TRPLXL2 about the gas mileage, if you're buying a truck with a 550hp supercharged V8, you'd better not hope for good gas mileage! I would probably be gettin' about 5 or 6 cause I wouldn't be able to keep my foot outta the gas with all the power!
    Current truck: 1996 Ford 250, 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. Dana 60 SAS, stage 1 160cc injectors, T500 High Pressure Oil Pump, TS 6-position chip, full 4" exhaust, intake, 285 Falken Rocky Mountain AT's, boost/EGT/trans temp pillar gauges, etc...

Blog Entries

that zr2 sucks

ford raptor will it eat it.

The ZR2 looks like they copied the dodge tailgate and copied the ford front end.

it still has the weak 10 bolt.

Tranny will probably **** itself.. if they put the same ol 4l60

dont get me wrong im a chevy guy, but gm has been using crappy trannies and rearends
    Last edited by 2ToNe04; 11-05-2009 at 11:40 AM.

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast