GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2003 chevy silverado radio wiring trouble

I have installed a new headunit in my truck and the first time i put it in, it worked. I know that the 2003 chevys dont have an ignition wire and you have to run your own to a fuse, so i rand my ignition wire to the brake fuse on the inside panel of the truck. at first the head unit worked fine but now it doesnt turn on, the buttons on the head unit light up but the screen doesnt turn on. what i really need help with is what fuse i should run my ignition wire to and how to hook up the wire to the fuse.

Thanks
    2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab, 5.3 v8

Quote Originally Posted by Vallez93 View Post
    I have installed a new headunit in my truck and the first time i put it in, it worked. I know that the 2003 chevys dont have an ignition wire and you have to run your own to a fuse, so i rand my ignition wire to the brake fuse on the inside panel of the truck. at first the head unit worked fine but now it doesnt turn on, the buttons on the head unit light up but the screen doesnt turn on. what i really need help with is what fuse i should run my ignition wire to and how to hook up the wire to the fuse.

Thanks
    I think you have a bigger problem than where you have your ignition wire tapped in at. The deck is getting power if the lights come on.

What kind of deck is it?

What happened prior to the unit not working?

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Quote Originally Posted by sstoner911 View Post
    I think you have a bigger problem than where you have your ignition wire tapped in at. The deck is getting power if the lights come on.

What kind of deck is it?

What happened prior to the unit not working?

Its a Dual xd1225 head unit, and the thing is, that even when the ignition wire isnt hooked up, the unit still lights up.
    it was working when i first installed it, then i took it out to replace with a sony head unit from my brothers truck and the sony didnt work, so i tried re installing the Dual and now i have this problem. ive checked the fuses and they are all fine. i really dont know what to do besides take it to a professional which i know they will rape me on the price when its something i could have done, or get a new head unit and try again.
    2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab, 5.3 v8

Why not go buy the correct wiring harness? GMCO. It is semi expensive but it's done right that way.

I would also suggest just spending the money to get the correct interface harness. That way you will get your chimes for the door, key in ignition, low fuel, seatbelt, etc. back and everything on the truck will work as it is supposed to. The harness will give you all of the connections for speakers, power, ignition power, etc.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Well, it sounds like an issue with the HU more than wiring. If it's lighting up, it has power. You might want to test your deck in another vehicle.

As with the others, a wiring harness is recommended, because it gives you everything you need, plus the chime, which is nice to have sometimes. You also don't need to tap into any other wiring to make it work.
    Don't lose your mind trying to set it free.
    2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 CC 4x2 5.3L