GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newbie with 03+ Stereo install issues

Hey guys, another newbie on this site...Just picked up my 06 Silverado about 2 months ago and of all the sites I've been reading on this one the most. I searched some and didnt find what I was looking for, so if any of this has been covered 1000 times I apologize...Anyway, been building custom vehicles for a while now and this is my first encounter with GM stereos, After some reading I found that it isnt a normal stereo swap on these beasts. My truck is an 06 Silverado WT model Ex cab, Whoever ordered it, ordered it debadged and with a basic cd player, no onstar or bose here. I just finished building a custom sub box to house 2 12s in the center console and then found this stereo dilema. So here are my questions. Do you reccomend buying the $100 harness/interface to install a deck ( I can buy a Clarion MP3 deck from my brother for cheap), Or should I look at those harnesses that relocate the stock radio, Or is there a good alternative for running a system off the stock deck on a non-bose truck. I have been reading for 2 days straight, My buddy works at best buy and said they blew an airbag trying to bypass the factory radio on one. Also is Metra a decent supplier for the adapter, I can order it through work, but it doesnt list any difference for bose or non bose when I look up my truck (Silverado 4.3)
    2006 Silverado Ext Cab 2wd 4.3 on Black 22s (Daily Driver) Flowmaster, debadged, smoke tails...It begins

1994 Toyota Pickup Fully shaved, bagged and soo much more, Was a daily

Wal mart has the interface for 40 bucks

Thats the Scosche brand or however you spell it, I've heard horror stories about that shorting out and frying other modules etc from my buddy who works at GM
    2006 Silverado Ext Cab 2wd 4.3 on Black 22s (Daily Driver) Flowmaster, debadged, smoke tails...It begins

Legend

Its a bone stock WT truck you really shouldnt have to worry about anything, and while I understand its your buddy but Best Buy installers are not always the most properly trained individuals. My first car they hacked a hole in the defroster vent tubing to get the CD player in all the way, i have seen other hack jobs from them as well. You could very easily tap into the factory wiring for the subs with a line out converter but i would just always recommend getting an aftermarket head unit if you can afford it. I cant say I have ever had any problems with Scosche products or from anyone i know that has their parts
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Even though it is a WT Model, I still need the interface right? Just not the one for wheel controls, onstar etc... And I've used Scosche products as well without issues, just heard from a few people about problems with this interface

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ShortyzKustomz View Post
    Even though it is a WT Model, I still need the interface right? Just not the one for wheel controls, onstar etc... And I've used Scosche products as well without issues, just heard from a few people about problems with this interface
    as a work truck the only thing it may effect is the door chime i would think
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

From what Im reading, (And correct me if Im wrong thats why Im asking in here) But all 03 and newer trucks require the interface

Quote Originally Posted by ShortyzKustomz View Post
    From what Im reading, (And correct me if Im wrong thats why Im asking in here) But all 03 and newer trucks require the interface
    Correct. The harness will keep the Door chime and the RAP (I think thats what its called). Anyways with the Harness it will allow you to play the radio with the key out of the ignition for like 15 minutes or until a door is opened. I've heard some people say they picked up the harness without the onstar and bose for like $20 at walmart. You could always try Amazon or ebay too. I ordered all of my aftermarket Electronics from Crutchfield and Amazon.

Edit: Could you please post a picture of your box? Im curious for some Ideas. Im going to be taking my rear bench seat out soon and I will be building a console for 2 12's. What subs are you going with?
    Last edited by ZSI52; 11-06-2009 at 09:54 PM.
    Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

I have 2 Infinity 12s. I have some basic pics of the box so far. Still working on it....
    Making the arm rest and adding some cup holders comes next

Also I will check crutchfield as well, their outlet store is only 30 mins from my house

Lookin good. Please post some pics when your finished
    Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast