GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1993 Chevy Silverado C3500

Alright guys, I found this forum and was hoping you guys could help me make a decision here. I currently own a 2003 Ford Explorer that I am not happy with at all. Ive always been a truck lover but at 16-17 when I was looking for a car, the deal i got on the explorer I couldnt pass up. Im 18 now and really wanting a truck, but not looking to put a lot of money towards buying one since Im starting College next september and have to keep my finances in check.

What I found while looking through used trucks was this 1993 Chevy C3500 and i think it looks great! I dont know much about Chevys since Ive only driven Fords(150's, 250 Super Duty) while working, so id like you guys to help me on if getting rid of my Explorer for this would be worth it.

So far the major Pros and Cons i come up with are

2003 Explorer:
    Pros- 4 wheel drive for driving in the snow(I really need a vehicle that can handle driving in the snow).
    Hasn't given me any machincal issues since ive owned it(going on 2 years)
    Cons- I love trucks
    Not enough power in my opinion to tow the trailer with all the Landscaping equipment.

1993 C3500:
    Pros- Much more power
    Can trade in/sell my explorer and already have enough cash to buy it.
    I love trucks, especially Duallys
    Cons- No 4x4, and Im not familiar with how a non 4x4 dually would handle in snow.
    Much older then my current vehicle, and Im not familiar with Chevy reliability/durability.
    At this age will this truck continue to preform and last me?

Both my current 2003 Explorer and the 1991 C3500 are in the 80k Mileage.

Any help/knowledge you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the site!

That truck looks gorgeous on the outside, it looks like it was well taken care of. 80,000 miles is young for that year of truck, a lot of guys on here have those year trucks with lot's of miles. What size motor does it have, I am guessing a 454 and from that year would probably be a Tonawanda motor which is a great motor. Depending on how much they want for it, I would say go for it. I have never owned a dually so I can't say about the 4x4 thing, but good luck with your decision.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

I've driven a few dually's and you have to change the way you drive and learn to park farther out. Turning corners the way you do in the Explorer will cost you $$ for fender repairs. It is wide, so you have to adjust to making wider turns. If you look around you will see plenty of older dually's with damaged rear fenders. You can't pull up in front of the am/pm mini mart and grab a spot in front unless you take up a couple of spaces.

Since you have a running vehicle, you might want to wait for a 4x4 3/4 ton. Look for a 96-99 that way you'll still be in your price range and gain the advantage of OBDII capabilities to help you diagnose any troubles.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    Welcome to the site!

That truck looks gorgeous on the outside, it looks like it was well taken care of. 80,000 miles is young for that year of truck, a lot of guys on here have those year trucks with lot's of miles. What size motor does it have, I am guessing a 454 and from that year would probably be a Tonawanda motor which is a great motor. Depending on how much they want for it, I would say go for it. I have never owned a dually so I can't say about the 4x4 thing, but good luck with your decision.
    The site just lists that its an 8 Cyl. 7.4

Im hoping to go check it out tommorow in person. It does look very well taken care of, inside also(from pictures that is). Ill have a better idea after tommorow if i get the chance to go down.

Also, they dealership is asking 6.9k. Does that sound about right for the age of the vehicle and mileage?

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    I've driven a few dually's and you have to change the way you drive and learn to park farther out. Turning corners the way you do in the Explorer will cost you $$ for fender repairs. It is wide, so you have to adjust to making wider turns. If you look around you will see plenty of older dually's with damaged rear fenders. You can't pull up in front of the am/pm mini mart and grab a spot in front unless you take up a couple of spaces.

Since you have a running vehicle, you might want to wait for a 4x4 3/4 ton. Look for a 96-99 that way you'll still be in your price range and gain the advantage of OBDII capabilities to help you diagnose any troubles.
    Im used to taking wider turns while working. I do landscaping work and drive a Ford F250 Super Duty with a trailer that adds a good 1.5ft width out from the truck on each side. Im also very used to parking far from other vehicles, something i picked up growing up since my dad always took such good care of his truck and never parked near other vehicles.

Ive been trying pretty hard to find a nice truck in the mid to late 90's year(Ford F250s/Chevys) and this has been the first ive found that really looks great, and for a good price. It seems with my searching i either find older trucks that are smaller and not very well taken care of, or ones that are still in the late 90's were hardly driven so the asking price is still pretty steap. I guess if after seeing this truck in person and driving it, it doesnt feel as well kept as it looks, ill be patient and keep looking.

Edit: I forgot to ask unplugged, have you experienced driving a non 4x4 dually in snow? Or have an idea on if its any different from driving a regular truck without 4x4 in snow(aside from the slow/wider turns, which would be very important in snowy conditions).
    Last edited by That New Guy; 11-07-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the site! Looks like you found a nice truck!
    Eddie , 2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (old style)

That looks like a nicely preserved Chevy.
    7.4 is the B/B 454 engine Amy quoted, not great on fuel, depending on gears it'l probably average around 12/14mpg when in good tune, driven sensibly with a trailer behind it (mileage wont change much with or without the trailer on the the back, but probably close to what you get in the Explorer) driven with a heavy throttle foot mileage will go down as low as 7/9mpg.
    In snow and ice conditions a truck like that can be the best truck on the road if it has traction or the most ornery thing you've ever driven if it looses traction. Because of the wide drivewheel stance it'll get traction in most situations with either the inside or outside wheels. In deep snow it's so heavy it'll break through, not a good truck to bust trails with.
    On plowed city streets and highways it should be good, you might get a little push in the steering when turning, on rural unplowed roads it could be slow going if your outer wheels are wide enough to get out of the ruts and grooves. Basically it'll drive better than a 2wd but not quite as good as a 4wd.
    A medium sized load in the bed will help traction a lot during adverse conditions (around 250 to 300lbs of sand. And if you do ever get stuck it'll take a bigger truck to pull you out.

Like everybody else said, go for it, yes it is different to drive but you get used to it, prob has a 454 so gas is going to be exspensive but you take the good with the bad I guess. Chevy is very reliable, my 88 is still strong with over 170k miles on it, as for the snow, a big dulley like that shouldent be that bad but i'm not sure. good luck!
    00 Chevy k3500
    6.5 turbo Diesel
    Straight Pipe 4'' dual Exhaust
    HD Aluminium Wheels
    HID Headlights/LED Taill ights
    Airbag 5k LBS helper springs
    LED interior lights