GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default '06 Rotor removal

I was working on my problem with low speed ABS activation, I read that the sensors are probably dirty and need to be cleaned to solve the problem. I quit the automotive field 10 years ago and really have no drive to do this, but economic situation sez that I need to do this myself. So, I jacked up the truck, took off the wheel, removed the Caliper and noticed that the Rotor has to come off to get to the Sensor....removed the transport screw holding the Rotor in place...the freakin' Rotor will not break loose.....saw the threaded holes to put bolts in to help back the Rotor out...looked to be 8x1.25...trip to Ace Hardware....back home to find out they're too small.....back to A H to get 10x1.25....too big.....throw bolts in tool box, put Caliper back on, reinstall wheel and drop the truck off the Jack....all this leading to the question: 'What is the proper size bolt"...or, "Is there a better way to do this"...just in case I get the idea to try it again
    *Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

Legend
    Blog Entries

We did a brake job on the rear of our 05' Silverado this summer, and we also had a hell of a time getting the rear rotors off. On ours the brake adjuster which looks like a tiny wheel with fins on it was turned way too tight, there is a small hole on the top or bottom of the back of the backing plate depending on which side of the truck. There is a rubber plug that needs to be pulled off first, and then take a small screw driver and push the wheel up or down to release the tension and then the rotor just fell off for us. Here is a link to the thread I posted about it, I have a lot of pictures showing the hole and the adjuster hopefully this helps if not then just consider it a bump!

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25592
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

I just did my front brake pads and rotors a few weeks ago, and I did the same thing I did on my car, got a BFH and gave them a couple manly hits right on the outside edge. I am assuming these are hubcentric hubs, so when you slide the rotor on it centers on the hub and can seize there slightly.
    2006 Magnetic Black 350Z

2004 Silverado Z71
    Nitto Terra Grapplers | Viper Remote Start

I sprayed the crap out of them with WD40...whacked them pretty good on the Hub surface, no luck....then a Rubber Mallet on the Braking surface (Rotors no being replaced), again no luck....

If the bolts are in between they are probably 3/8 X 16 SAE threads. GM still uses both metric and SAE bolts on their cars and trucks even to this day. It makes the tool companies happy.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible