GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: 4x4 Issues.

Default 4x4 Issues.

I have a few questions about my 1995 Chevy Tahoe LS, 2 door, 5 speed. First I'm just wondering if anyone out there has some good information about the transfer cases in these tahoes? what kind are they, how they function, common problems, etc. After i pull the stick and start to take off, the light that it's engaged never comes on, and it sounds as though somethings clanging around down there, any ideas?

Any information is helpful, tahnks guys.

Kyle

1995 Chevy Tahoe LS, 2 door, 5 SPEED! 5.7L TBI, headlights and taillights, luminics pure blue halogens, delta 44 flowmaster, K&N Cold Air Intake, Street Performance Throttle Body Spacer, LED blinker and taillight bulbs, all 12 interior bulbs converted to blue LEDs, blue interior LED kit, Nu image gauge faces, Panasonic deck with Kenwood performance speakers all around
    NEW: 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers (16x10 Dick Cepek Dc-2's soon to come!)

Default 2 door hoe

ive been having problems with my 95 tahoe also. my 4 wheel was workin for awhile but now it wont work at all. Mine also was making some grinding noise but only if i went in reverse for along ways. im starting to wonder if the actuator has gone bad.

Oh you lucky bastard you have the manual. I looked for ever

99 tahoe 2 dr. 4x4 7.4 4L80-e NP246, SAS, dana 60 hp, sterling 10.5 rear, gibson headers, and alot of tricks of the trade !!!!!!IF YOU'RE NOT CHEATING YOUR NOT TRYING!!!!!!!!

AZD: I got wicked lucky, I was 17 at the time and my dad had passed the truck for sale about 20 miles from my house, i was livid he didn't stop to grab the number, so I hopped on craigslist praying, and it was on there, I picked her up for 3500 with only 100k miles on her haha. I've been told there were only 500 tahoes made (1995 only) although many more were made in the preceding year tahoes. I don't know how difficult a swap would be if you really wanted to, cuz I know the rpms are different and what not. haha. but your ride sicks as is, so I wouldn't be to concerned :-P

I've really been going back and forth on doing a manual swap.thanks for the kind words she's been a labor of love for a long time OH ya and on your t.case is probly a 241 the tags on the rear and about center I wouldn't worry about the lights not working as long as she still 4 wheels the noise could be u joints on the front shaft they click or ting through the shaft sounds very metalic
    Last edited by azdrtdog; 01-18-2010 at 08:48 PM.

@ 1995ChevyHoe - You say your light doesn't come on, but does it engage?
    Current truck: 1996 Ford 250, 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. Dana 60 SAS, stage 1 160cc injectors, T500 High Pressure Oil Pump, TS 6-position chip, full 4" exhaust, intake, 285 Falken Rocky Mountain AT's, boost/EGT/trans temp pillar gauges, etc...

Ya lights burn out connection get bad half my push buttons have been out for years but the TCCM does not monitor those so operation should be unaffected

Ah, I forgot to ask - do you have the push button or manual transfer case?

He's off right now but up in his post he reffers to a lever

I believe I've narrowed it down to the front end isn't engaging, I can grab them in the transfer case but the front end doesn't lock, for instance I can get (2lo) and the rear gears change, also the front driveshaft spins, but the noise sounds as if shaft is banging around in the front socket, like it's not locked in completely. if my rear gears are changing, and the stick is locking in 4 hi or lo that means it's NOT in the transfer case, correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by