GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Successful Transmission Rebuild

I'm just curious, of everyone who has installed a rebuilt transmission what is the success rate like?

After searching ebay and craigslist there seems to be a lot of hobbyists in the business. I'd thought I'd go the safe route and purchase from a corporation (they have a target if things dont go right).

Do I just have bad luck or is this just a really complicated part that a lot of people dont get right the first time?

Bypass the rebuilds by other companies, you probably will get 1yr warranty at best and it is usually less. Unless you have ever been inside one before you can't appreciate the complexity and potential problems you could have if not done right. Go the GM certa transmission route from the dealer. They are factory rebuilt units warranted for 3 years and 100K miles. I picked up a 4L60E tranny at the dealer for about $1600 and put it in myself and saved the $500 labor to put it in that I was quoted by other shops. The warranty includes labor as well. To cover my potential labor charges in case something goes wrong I had a friend generate a invoice so I would be covered in case it had to be pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by dsquared View Post
    Bypass the rebuilds by other companies, you probably will get 1yr warranty at best and it is usually less. Unless you have ever been inside one before you can't appreciate the complexity and potential problems you could have if not done right. Go the GM certa transmission route from the dealer. They are factory rebuilt units warranted for 3 years and 100K miles. I picked up a 4L60E tranny at the dealer for about $1600 and put it in myself and saved the $500 labor to put it in that I was quoted by other shops. The warranty includes labor as well. To cover my potential labor charges in case something goes wrong I had a friend generate a invoice so I would be covered in case it had to be pulled.
    Ditto on the Serta transmission. You can't beat the warranty and it's good nation wide. Another good choice is Jasper but then you have the third party problem if something goes wrong.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Cool Successful Transmission Rebuild

If your looking for a stock rebuild than the GM Serta is the way to go.