GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Qustion

Default Qustion

Please forgive me for not knowing this after doing a search. When someone says they have 4:56 gears, what does that even mean? Does this mean they got rid of their 4.10 or 3.73 rear end in lieu of a 4.56 rear end?

Quote Originally Posted by lewisb13 View Post
    Please forgive me for not knowing this after doing a search. When someone says they have 4:56 gears, what does that even mean? Does this mean they got rid of their 4.10 or 3.73 rear end in lieu of a 4.56 rear end?
    Yes you are correct!
    Mark
    2007 Black Silverado LTZ Z71 4x4 Crew Cab, 5.3L, Airaid MIT and K&N Filter,
    Corsa Sport Exhaust, Rough Country 2" Leveling Kit, Removed Front Air Dam,
    N-Fab Steps, Line-X Bedliner, Truxedo LoPro QT, Carriage Works Billet Grill,
    18x9 Helo 835 Machined Black Rims, 285/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    Time to slow down on the mods! Running out of money:neutral:

Wow thats crazy, must have to be doing some SERIOUS towing to need anything more than a 4.10. Also, you have to change the front and rear gearing at the same time correct?

yes you need to do front and rear at the same time. Unless you wont ever use it (but then thats what 2wd are for) or if you run a different size tire front and rear but it would be a big difference. A swap from a 3.73 to a 4.56 isnt that big when going from a 31 to a 35 inch tire. The straight tire to gear ration swap would be a 4.21. Since that is not available the choices are 4.10 or 4.56. I do mostly highway so the 4.10 was my choice since it kept my RPMs lower on the highway. If I did more towing I would have gone 4.56 for a little better power (doesn't work as hard to get moving) but it would have revved higher on the highway.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

That totally makes sense. I get what you are saying. You go with bigger tires and it effectively decreases gear ratio so you change the gears to get your stock (or better than stock) gearing back. Hm. Interesting. Thanks for the replies!

somthin else you mite wana know, if you have stock 3:73 gears, with stock tire size, in your next to highest transmission gear, for every time your motor turns one time, your tire turns 3.73 ...at least thats what I read, if sumbody knows different, your welcome to shoot me down! lol

Close, in your next to highest gear, with stock tire size, if you had 3.73:1 gear ratio, your ENGINE would turn 3.73 times for every rotation of the tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambasylum View Post
    Close, in your next to highest gear, with stock tire size, if you had 3.73:1 gear ratio, your ENGINE would turn 3.73 times for every rotation of the tire.
    lol ok that makes sense! and thanks for th correction!

thats pretty cool, never knew that but glad I know now, thanks for the input!

S.BELFORD

2009 Silverado LT1: All Star Edition
    5.3 Liter V8 4x4

Factory:
    Locking Rear Differential
    3.73 Rear Axle
    Fog Lamps
    Factory Remote Start
    Locking Tailgate
    20" Wheels

Aftermarket:
    Rear Wheel House Liners