GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default interesting condition

ok so i just noticed that my burban will be running fine blowing hot air out of the heater and everything, then all the sudden it starts cooling down, so i glanced at the temp of the engine and it has shot up to 240ish it usually runs 190 area, so i keep looking at it then all the sudden it drops like a brick and the heater turns hot, what the hell? i was kinda thinking the thermostat what do you guys think?
    95 gmc k2500 sle 7.4L

Thermostat is the area I would be looking. I have had the same prob with some of my older units. I have also seen this on my vette when the water pump started heading south.
    That which does not kill you...will only make you stronger!!!

I'd think either a sticking thermostat, or a clog in the cooling system right around the heater core area. I'd suggest a new thermostat, and a cooling system flush. If you don't want to pay to have the flush done, I think I only paid about 20 or 30 bucks for a flush kit (guessing high I think) at the local parts store, & it just hooks up to your household garden hose spiget. You'd be AMAZED, or Grossed out at the things that a cooling system flush will spew out onto your driveway. I did an S-10 Blazer one time that looked like a cat coughing up a hairball big enough to make a complete wig for a long haired schnauser. I've got to admit it was one of the only times that working on a car actually turned my stomach. lmao.
    Jim
    1988 Chevy V-10 Suburban 4x4, 350 TBI, 33x12.50's
    1965 Chevy C-10 Pickup, 250 inline six, 3 on the tree.

sorry i didnt follow up on this lol, anyways so i was thinking since i was going to replace the thermo anyways just to see if that was the reason i would change my belt, looked old, and right when i took the pressure off i sprang a leak from my water pump, took it off and wouldn't you know the only thing holding it tight was the belt, one bolt was totally rusted through and when i went to buy another one the split the old one open just to see and the propeller blade was half gone lol so i found my problem