GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Short in power seat, airbag, seat heater

On my 2003 Suburban LT I have a short that is making the passengers side power seat, airbag, and both seat heaters not function. I disconnected the wiring bundle coupling under the back rear of the passenger seat to stop the short circuit and at least make the drivers side power seat operational. I've tried to find the wire that might be at fault in my Chilton guide but I can't seem to find it.

When working to find the short I put a pigtailed 40A breaker to replace the fuse so I didn't have to keep buying $4 fuses but the breaker also trips immediately once I recouple the bundle under the passenger seat.

Does anybody have an idea which wire might cause this? I'm sure it's in the bundle between the center console and the passenger seat. I do have front buckets with the console if that helps. I'd appreciate any help somebody can give me.

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

My suggestion would be to trace all of your wires from your power seats... Sounds like one got pinched and sheared off at some point and that is most likely causing your short...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

I had the same problem on my 01 and when I removed the pass seat the feed wire was crimped and the insulation was stripped and when it rained the windshield leaked and wet the floor and shorted the wire. I repaired the wire and re-routed it to cleared the frame and had the windshield replaced as it was pitted from highway use.
    07 2500HD Duramax , 4DR and 26 Prowler 5th wheel Travel trailer, 57 Chev wagon with 14' Bonair travel trailer, and 71 Nova. ChevyTalk.org Canadian Regional Coordinator